PDA

View Full Version : Homeland Security Looking Into Stun-Bracelets For Airline Passengers

Axxman300
07.07.08, 06:15 PM
Okay, I'm all for security but this is nuts:

http://www.theaviationnation.com/?p=545&akst_action=share-this

A senior government official with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has expressed great interest in a so-called safety bracelet that would serve as a stun device, similar to that of a police Taser®. According to this promotional video found at the Lamperd Less Lethal website, the bracelet would be worn by all airline passengers.

This bracelet would:

• take the place of an airline boarding pass

• contain personal information about the traveler

• be able to monitor the whereabouts of each passenger and his/her luggage

• shock the wearer on command, completely immobilizing him/her for several minutes

Terrorism is a complex issue and that makes counter-terrorism an even tougher issue. I'll save you guys a long rant about doctrine and security and boil it down to this: To fight terrorism you have to be smart. This is not smart.

DHS should look into the thousands of security holes at airports instead of inflicting people who aren't terrorists with an very dumb idea.

I bet 4000 Quatloos on the new-comer.

It's Mike
07.07.08, 06:17 PM
Okay, I'm all for security but this is nuts:

Terrorism is a complex issue and that makes counter-terrorism an even tougher issue. I'll save you guys a long rant about doctrine and security and boil it down to this: To fight terrorism you have to be smart. This is not smart.

DHS should look into the thousands of security holes at airports instead of inflicting people who aren't terrorists with an very dumb idea.

I bet 4000 Quatloos on the new-comer.

I wonder if this would turn into a million different lawsuits. :rolleyes: Who comes up with these ideas?

pgaugh5150
07.07.08, 06:23 PM
Wow that's crazy.

LLFHS
07.07.08, 06:37 PM
They already found a volunteer for testing.

VUIdXD4uA90

MikeL
07.07.08, 07:26 PM
I've often wanted something like this for my coworkers.

chefcraig
07.07.08, 07:32 PM
...I bet 4000 Quatloos on the new-comer...

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/5562/aquaex0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Axxman300
07.07.08, 08:07 PM
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h188/axxman300/dwight2.jpg

MikeL
07.07.08, 08:10 PM
Damn straight. Dwight would have gotten them and Jim would have gotten him to wear it.

The idea of zapping a teacher when they say something stupid has a lot of appeal. I just can't the batteries lasting very long.

Axxman300
07.07.08, 09:00 PM
I'm not against them in principle, just on airplanes.

I wish they forced the gas bags in my various classes to wear them this last semester.

ZachenFoot
07.07.08, 10:27 PM
I'm not against them in principle, just on airplanes.

I wish they forced the gas bags in my various classes to wear them this last semester.

I'd like 'em for the slow walkers in my high school. Granted, they'd be over the floor, but still not impairing my route and possibly making me late to class like they usually would :thumb:

mistere
07.08.08, 12:06 AM
The day this is implemented is the day the day the terrorists have officially won. Further evidence of America's slide toward neo-fascism. Yippie.

VF5150
07.08.08, 03:27 AM
at least in soviet russia people would be executed if thier projects failed. we get the worst of both worlds.:rolleyes:

ZeoBandit
07.08.08, 04:48 AM
That is a major lawsuit waiting to happen, as soon as someone gets stunned accidently.

WinterlessIceness
07.08.08, 04:57 AM
I think your government should start tasing people who start lawsuits.

i1sum2!
07.08.08, 05:18 AM
That is a major lawsuit waiting to happen, as soon as someone gets stunned accidently.

I was just thinking the same thing. This is really a bad idea.

hatchetforce
07.08.08, 08:27 AM
Reminds me of Cliff's Electric Button on Cheers - "Dance Mailman!"

graeme
07.08.08, 08:31 AM
Wow. Quite simply an astonishing idea and even more astonishing that someone in the government would even think of it.
To call this kind of thinking the start of a very slippery slope is an understatement.

VegasVic
07.08.08, 12:40 PM
Wow. Quite simply an astonishing idea and even more astonishing that someone in the government would even think of it.
To call this kind of thinking the start of a very slippery slope is an understatement.

Someone in government is exactly who I would expect to come up with this. Not in a good government, but....

Dimoncutr
07.08.08, 12:50 PM
Wouldn't it be great if the terrorist were the one's who got a hold of the devise that set these off. Bad idea.

Red
07.08.08, 05:36 PM
Well, you know, if you're not doing anything wrong, then you have nothing to worry about, right?:)

Tropical Storm Tracey
07.08.08, 07:18 PM
They already found a volunteer for testing.

VUIdXD4uA90

Well, I'd say he's about 31 flavors of stupid!

TST<-------I prefer Rocky Road----but that's just me-----;)

LLFHS
07.08.08, 07:30 PM
Well, I'd say he's about 31 flavors of stupid!

TST<-------I prefer Rocky Road----but that's just me-----;)

Without people like that around, the rest of us would git mighty bored.

track 5
07.08.08, 10:24 PM
It's an interesting concept though. I'd like to see how this pans out....and it will not. What was the other one that got people all riled up? The super burly xray thing that showed off their goods? So what do we do here? Out.

WinterlessIceness
07.09.08, 01:46 AM
It's an interesting concept though. I'd like to see how this pans out....and it will not. What was the other one that got people all riled up? The super burly xray thing that showed off their goods? So what do we do here? Out.

It is in interesting concept, the concept which reminds me of dystopic sci-fi especially in Philip K. Dick's universe. All citizens are monitored 24/7, or are bugged, or anything else.

Hurricane Halen
07.09.08, 03:41 AM

I guess we'll be hearing a little more of this gem: http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o139/HalenHurricane/taze_store2.jpg

Flight Atten: "We would like to welcome you aboard American Airlines Flight 477 from Dallas Forth Worth to Miami Florida. Today's flight will be around 3 hours and the weather forcast for south Florida is broken clouds with scattered showers around the Miami area. Now, I would like your attention ....... we have passed out these Stun Bracelets and we must inform you that if your child or childern have any peanut allergies we will use these bracelets for our entertainment.......since we have no inflight movie. Again, we want to welcome you aboard American Airlines......enjoy your flight and peanuts!!"

HH<-----I'm fucking beat down tired..........grrrrrrr----------

EVHgirl in Va
07.09.08, 04:38 AM
Reminds me of Cliff's Electric Button on Cheers - "Dance Mailman!"

:funny: I just spit out a little of my coffee Hatch! Dance Mailman.... now THAT was funny!

EVHgirl in Va
07.09.08, 04:44 AM
I'm wondering WHAT exactly you would have to do to get Tazed???? I had a few friends in high school (very long time ago) that actually tazed each other with a police tazer .... yes they got it from a friends brother that was an actual cop....I know..geez

Seriously, can you imagine getting irate about a cancelled flight, talking in your "outside voice", calling the flight attendant a not-so-nice name and BAMMM...you are writhing on the ground.

Or do you have to have an actual explosive device, on you, in your bag, ect....???

How about walking through concourse E, minding you own business, when the guy in front of you drops like a fly and blocks the "fast" sidewalk. Would you just think "shit, wonder what he did" or would it cause mass "pandelerium" or a stampede...trying to get away from the guy who may or may not be vested with C-4 and an alarm clock?

Whole idea is just whacked!