PDA

View Full Version : When we left earth - the NASA missions

namedmydaughterHALEN
06.23.08, 06:44 AM
anyone watching this show?
the footage is amazing. nasa had to have opened the archives for this. great stuff.
you really get a sense of how fast everything is. the had a camera on the side of one of the atlas rockets on take off. the thing is screaming!!! usually when they show these clips, they are in slow motion, so to see it in real time is something else. especially the rotation of earth.

love this stuff.

Scott55
06.23.08, 06:50 AM
Yeah, I have been watching it the past couple of weeks. Great footage. I also appreciated the fact that NASA admitted the mistakes of the January 1986 Challenger explosion.

namedmydaughterHALEN
06.23.08, 07:19 AM
i still dont understand why it was so important to lauch while it was still so cold. they could have waited for it to warm up before the launch. guess they learned the hard way.
i thought it was interesting that they were talking about the tiles being so fragile and critical back in '81, yet still no improvements unit columbia burned up.

VanHalenRules
06.23.08, 07:33 AM
I caught the first couple, but missed last night.:brickwall

When going over the Challenger incident, did they mention the wind shear that it flew through about 20 seconds prior to the break-up?

namedmydaughterHALEN
06.23.08, 07:36 AM
I caught the first couple, but missed last night.:brickwall

When going over the Challenger incident, did they mention the wind shear that it flew through about 20 seconds prior to the break-up?

i didnt hear mention of it.

VanHalenRules
06.23.08, 07:42 AM
Might want to check out this site:http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/investigations/q0122.shtml

Some interesting observations, I have heard them from other sources as well.

The temporary seal apparently remained intact for nearly one minute into the flight since the chamber pressure within the right SRB remained normal. It is very possible that this seal could have been maintained indefinitely if not for the fourth and final factor that doomed the mission. At 56 seconds after launch, right around the time of max q, Challenger passed through the worst wind shear in the history of the Shuttle program. The wind loads on the vehicle caused the booster to flex and dislodged the aluminum oxide plug that had sealed the damaged O-rings. This event was marked by a reduction in chamber pressure and the appearance of a small flickering flame that emerged from the aft field joint at 58.788 seconds Mission Elapsed Time (MET).

ChrisTheEdHead
06.23.08, 08:07 AM
Yeah, the footage in these is simply incredible. Apparently, NASA turned over the entire film vault to Discovery Channel. DC then had all the footage transferred to digital HD, and gave it all back to NASA in exchange for using it in this series.

Karma Wheel
06.23.08, 08:18 AM
Definately a great series. My kids are really enjoying watching this too. They've made sure to TIVO it so they don't miss an episode.

voivod
06.23.08, 08:41 AM
Has NASA documented the reduction of salmon in space?
:smokin:

smithjc
06.23.08, 08:55 AM
So Capricorn One wasn't true then? :D

I need to watch this show, I haven't been able to yet.

namedmydaughterHALEN
06.23.08, 09:14 AM
Might want to check out this site:http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/investigations/q0122.shtml

Some interesting observations, I have heard them from other sources as well.

wow.... this is interesting. that is the first i have heard of the shear.

Mario VH
06.23.08, 09:20 AM
Sounds interesting. I'll have to try and catch an episode.

seenbad
06.23.08, 09:25 AM
We've enjoyed watching this very much. I think I'll get the set on dvd.

VanHalenRules
06.23.08, 09:26 AM
wow.... this is interesting. that is the first i have heard of the shear.

If you look at this video, at roughly 1:45, you can see a bend in the trail behind the shuttle where it had encountered the worst of the shear.

YAzA6k-spnc

namedmydaughterHALEN
06.23.08, 10:40 AM
If you look at this video, at roughly 1:45, you can see a bend in the trail behind the shuttle where it had encountered the worst of the shear.

YAzA6k-spnc

damn. you can actually see it change course before she blows. never noticed it before. odd that neither the shuttle or launch said anthing about it.

pgaugh5150
06.23.08, 11:04 AM
Yes a good show

Axxman300
06.23.08, 01:27 PM
Damned good show.

"In the Shadow of the Moon", a documentary that came out last summer is now available on DVD and I reccommend it.

namedmydaughterHALEN
06.23.08, 01:56 PM
Damned good show.

"In the Shadow of the Moon", a documentary that came out last summer is now available on DVD and I reccommend it.

its on the discovery channel tonight!
got the dvr set.

Hurricane Halen
06.23.08, 05:01 PM
Another awesome documentary by the Discovery Channel. Shadow of the Moon.....waiting to get both DVD sets soon. NASA has never been perfect, but I sure love everything they have done and will ever do!!!!!

HH<----Hey TST, these DVD are great gift ideas :thumb: ;) ---------

Hurricane Halen
06.23.08, 05:08 PM
Yeah, the footage in these is simply incredible. Apparently, NASA turned over the entire film vault to Discovery Channel. DC then had all the footage transferred to digital HD, and gave it all back to NASA in exchange for using it in this series.

It's funny that there are those who still believe we've never been to the moon, or even explored space for that matter. It's all movie sets and trick photography. :rolleyes: And, even tho I hate to admit this, I know a guy who thinks this bullshit.

HH<----What we got here is a failure to communicate-------------

LLFHS
06.23.08, 08:52 PM
It's funny that there are those who still believe we've never been to the moon, or even explored space for that matter. It's all movie sets and trick photography. :rolleyes: And, even tho I hate to admit this, I know a guy who thinks this bullshit.

HH<----What we got here is a failure to communicate-------------

Speaking as someone who's been to space and back..........They have some awesome chili dogs out there.:thumb:

Tropical Storm Tracey
06.23.08, 09:05 PM
Another awesome documentary by the Discovery Channel. Shadow of the Moon.....waiting to get both DVD sets soon. NASA has never been perfect, but I sure love everything they have done and will ever do!!!!!

HH<----Hey TST, these DVD are great gift ideas :thumb: ;) ---------

I already know that and my birthday comes first so actually they would be great gift ideas....for me! :D J/K baby...consider it done.

Actually, if anyone knows where I can get "Moonshot" on DVD I would appreciate it. That is a great documentary of the first missions before and after the first landing on the moon. However, it is only on VHS that I could find and seeing as how we no longer have a VHS player....well you do the math! Maybe I should buy one of those machines and put them on DVD myself...hmmmm, that's a thought too.

I love watching things like this. I remember when my Mom called me in to watch the first moon landing on TV. Considering I was only 2 years old that's pretty significant that I actually remember it. I've been hooked ever since!

TST<--------------can't wait to get my hands on this series-----------

seenbad
06.23.08, 10:05 PM

I think you should introduce him to Buzz. ;)

dcoyiJdeWT4

Hurricane Halen
06.23.08, 10:24 PM
I think you should introduce him to Buzz. ;)

dcoyiJdeWT4

Jesus Seen, that was beautiful!!! That just made my night bro!!!:thumb:

HH<---Buzz just buzzed that fucking nose wide open!!------:wtf: :headbang: :thumb:

i1sum2!
06.24.08, 07:22 AM
I love watching things like this. I remember when my Mom called me in to watch the first moon landing on TV. Considering I was only 2 years old that's pretty significant that I actually remember it. I've been hooked ever since!

Same here, although I haven't really had the chance to watch what has so far been shown. Lucky me, the Discovery Channel airs certain shows over and over. I'm sure this will be one. I caught the last fifteen minutes of last nights show and they talked about reentering the Earth's atmosphere going at about 26,000 mph! Said it was like riding in a giant light bulb. They showed a camera view outside their window and all you could see was a super white hot flame behind them. They also said that a bullet from a rifle travels at a speed of 2,000 mph, just to give you an idea of how fast they are going. :eek:

I was about five when they landed on the moon and remember watching it too. Everyone was! The Apollo program was such a big deal back then. Good stuff to be sure.

jimmy812
06.25.08, 06:08 AM
Just wanted to thank you guys, particularly namedmydaughterHalen for starting this thread. I most likely wouldn't have seen this fantastic series. I've watched the first 3 so far on OnDemand. I'm looking forward to the other episodes (hopefully) tonight. :bounce:
Is there 6 episodes all together, or are there more? I think there are 6 listed on OnDemand.

namedmydaughterHALEN
06.25.08, 09:02 AM
Just wanted to thank you guys, particularly namedmydaughterHalen for starting this thread. I most likely wouldn't have seen this fantastic series. I've watched the first 3 so far on OnDemand. I'm looking forward to the other episodes (hopefully) tonight. :bounce:
Is there 6 episodes all together, or are there more? I think there are 6 listed on OnDemand.

your quite welcome. i figured some guys on here would enjoy the show.
thank you for telling me it is on demand! its clogging my dvr. i can go on demand and burn it to dvd and clean a ton of space of my dvr.

jimmy812
06.25.08, 11:35 AM
So there are only 6 episodes, right? That's all OnDemand has.

namedmydaughterHALEN
06.25.08, 11:37 AM
So there are only 6 episodes, right? That's all OnDemand has.

yeah, i am pretty sure they said it was a 6 episode series.

jimmy812
06.26.08, 04:21 AM
Well, I finished up the whole series. What an awesome job they did on it. The whole thing is just so awe-inspiring.
I'm not sure I'd be able to live in a space station for months at a time. That's crazy.
I didn't know that the crew members of the Challenger were still alive (unconscious) until they hit the water.

It was good to learn some new things. I had limited knowledge of the space program, like only front-page stuff I was aware of. I mean the recent Mars rover thing was very cool. But I always thought that we had space shuttles go a lot further into space, like way out of our orbit.
But now I want to learn more about it. Like when's the next launch?!?! :bounce:

VanHalenRules
06.26.08, 06:32 AM
But I always thought that we had space shuttles go a lot further into space, like way out of our orbit.
But now I want to learn more about it. Like when's the next launch?!?! :bounce:

Next shuttle launch is scheduled for October 8th.

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/shuttleoperations/index.html

namedmydaughterHALEN
06.26.08, 02:08 PM
Next shuttle launch is scheduled for October 8th.

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/kennedy/shuttleoperations/index.html

still kicking myself in the ass for not driving over to see the launch when i was in orlando about 5 yrs ago. only an hour away. the launch was early in the morning and i would have had to drag my in laws out of bed wayyyy early and drive the rental car over. could see the launch trail from my hotel window!!

on a side note.

Two weeks ago we reported that Image Entertainment, The Discovery Channel and NASA were preparing a home video release of When We Left Earth: The NASA Missions, coming out on September 30th. At the time we had all the details, as well as front cover art, for both the DVD and the high-def Blu-ray Disc versions of this 4-disc set, plus we've learned that there will be over four hours of material not seen in the broadcast version. Unfortunately we don't have the details on what that material will be, exactly.

What we've learned this morning, though, is that the DVD release will be available in a "Limited Edition Collectible Metal Package", seen below. There is no word as to whether the tin will also be available for the Blu-ray version, but from the phrasing we see on the sell sheet that this picture comes from (and the lack of a Blu-ray version of the picture), the gut feeling here is that "the tin is probably just for the DVD".

VanHalenRules
06.26.08, 02:37 PM
still kicking myself in the ass for not driving over to see the launch when i was in orlando about 5 yrs ago. only an hour away. the launch was early in the morning and i would have had to drag my in laws out of bed wayyyy early and drive the rental car over. could see the launch trail from my hotel window!!

I used to work night shift at Daytona Int'l Speedway (DIS), and saw a early morning launch from there. It was cold, so I was sitting in my DIS vehicle when it happened, and the whole truck shook.:wtf: Closest I have ever been to a launch, and it was simply amazing!:thumb:

VanHalenRules
06.26.08, 02:53 PM
By the way, you should be here in Flagler when the shuttle comes back home from the North. The twin sonic booms will shake the house!

SummerKnight
06.27.08, 07:12 AM
It's been a while since I posted, but I had to reply to this. I loved this series, I can't wait to watch it again! But anyone who is considering seeing a Shuttle launch, do it! There are onyl 9 left before the program is retired. I fly out to Orlando a few times a year (on of the benefits of working for an airline) to watch them, and it is amazing every time. There are 2 launches this fall, one in November, and one for December, they are both night launches, and it is just an amazing sight, the sky lights up like it is day! Also, just an FYI, the launch in October will be Shuttle Atlantis' last scheduled flight, as well as the last mission that will not involve the International Space Station. If you have the chance go see it. Let me know if you have questions on where to watch it from.

VanHalenRules
06.27.08, 07:39 AM
Absolute best viewing for a launch (outside of being at KSC) is Space View Park in Titusville on US-1. Yes, it will be crowded, but it offers an outstanding view of the launch.
Night launches are spectacular, but the shuttle launches still pale in my mind to the spectacular sight of a Saturn V launching into the night sky.:thumb:

Should be interesting to see what the new moon rockets look like during a launch.

Karma Wheel
06.27.08, 08:08 AM
When I was a kid we lived in Melbourne, FL for a few years before moving to Miami. We could stand in our front yard and see some of the Apollo rockets up in the sky after they launched. Very cool memories. :)

SummerKnight
06.27.08, 08:22 AM
Absolute best viewing for a launch (outside of being at KSC) is Space View Park in Titusville on US-1. Yes, it will be crowded, but it offers an outstanding view of the launch.
Night launches are spectacular, but the shuttle launches still pale in my mind to the spectacular sight of a Saturn V launching into the night sky.:thumb:

Should be interesting to see what the new moon rockets look like during a launch.

Yeah, Titusville is the best place by far (outside of KSC), there are so many great parks and beaches to watch it from, plus you can just drive noths to Sanford and get to Orlando that way after the launch is over, and avoid all the nasty traffic!

jimmy812
06.27.08, 09:03 AM
But anyone who is considering seeing a Shuttle launch, do it! There are onyl 9 left before the program is retired.

Did I read that right? They're going to retire the program? Can you elaborate on that?

seenbad
06.27.08, 10:04 AM
I used to work night shift at Daytona Int'l Speedway (DIS), and saw a early morning launch from there. It was cold, so I was sitting in my DIS vehicle when it happened, and the whole truck shook.:wtf: Closest I have ever been to a launch, and it was simply amazing!:thumb:

I think I mentioned this before on this site, but when I was in Boot Camp in Orlando they did a morning launch right at the same time coincidentally that they were doing morning colors (raising the flag/playing the anthem). It was a pretty dang patriotic moment for me to be standing there in uniform in boot camp, saluting the flag, listening to the anthem, and having the shuttle launch all at the same time. A special moment for me.

VanHalenRules
06.27.08, 10:45 AM
Did I read that right? They're going to retire the program? Can you elaborate on that?

Yep, by 2010. This article is a couple of years old, but will give you the details.

NASA To Retire Space Shuttle
Atlantis Will Be Retired First; Others To Be Scrapped By 2010

CAPE CANAVERAL, Fla., Feb. 21, 2006

CBS/AP) Atlantis will be the first of NASA's three space shuttles to be retired, most likely in 2008, as the shuttle program winds down in four years, a senior agency official said Tuesday.

Atlantis' parts will be used by the remaining shuttles, Discovery and Endeavour, until the aging spacecraft are mothballed in 2010, shuttle program manager Wayne Hale told workers at the Kennedy Space Center last week.

Atlantis, which began flying in 1985, as the fourth orbiter in the fleet launched from Kennedy Space Center, was chosen for retirement first since it was scheduled for maintenance, a process that could take two years.

The shuttle was named after the primary research vessel for the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute in Massachusetts from 1930 to 1966, because that vessel explored what was thought to be the final frontier.

When Atlantis was built, it weighed 7,000 pounds less than the first shuttle, Columbia.

The $3 billion shuttle likely will have four or five more flights to the international space station before retirement.

Due to the extent of repairs Atlantis is slated for, it would be sidelined for most of the current shuttle program's lifespan even if not retired, a NASA spokesman said.

"The reasoning is instead of taking it off-line for two years and spending a lot of money to return it to flight when it probably would fly only one time at the most, why spend that extra money, when you don't need to?" NASA spokesman Bruce Buckingham said Tuesday at the Kennedy Space Center.

NASA has planned 17 more shuttle flights before the program ends in 2010.

The next-generation vehicles are expected to be ready no later than 2014.

Most of the nearly 15,000 NASA and contractor employees at the space center work on the shuttle program, but they likely will be unaffected by the retirement of Atlantis, Buckingham said.

VanHalenRules
06.27.08, 11:04 AM
Since it was mentioned, this series will be released on Blu-Ray on Sept. 30th.:thumb:

edhalen
06.27.08, 04:12 PM
Great program - glad I saw the ad for it and recorded them. Can't get enough.:thumb:

jimmy812
06.28.08, 04:00 AM
Thanks, VHRules, for posting that article. It'll be interesting to see the "next generation vehicles" in 2014. :thumb:

SummerKnight
06.30.08, 10:14 AM
Thanks, VHRules, for posting that article. It'll be interesting to see the "next generation vehicles" in 2014. :thumb:

OK, I am a total nerd for knowing all of this. But here you go....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orion_%28spacecraft%29

I am really excited to see these, they should be way more powerful than the Saturn V. I just wish it wasn't 4 years between the last Shuttle launch, and the first Orion launch. I know NASA has expressed an interest in expediting the first launch, but I will believe that when I see it.

VanHalenRules
06.30.08, 10:29 AM
OK, I am a total nerd for knowing all of this. But here you go....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orion_%28spacecraft%29

I am really excited to see these, they should be way more powerful than the Saturn V. I just wish it wasn't 4 years between the last Shuttle launch, and the first Orion launch. I know NASA has expressed an interest in expediting the first launch, but I will believe that when I see it.

Problem is, it seems like they are determined to reinvent the wheel, or capsule, for this go around. If the technology worked for Apollo, it would work now. I know they are looking for changes, but have you seen the amount of time that have spent on heat sheild materials and shape alone?:confused:

The Ares I launch platform should be neat, but I'm waiting for the Ares V!:thumb:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/constellation/ares/index.html

namedmydaughterHALEN
06.30.08, 01:47 PM
well crap! i deleted the entire series off my dvr thinking that our wonderful cable company, that i work for, had discovery channel on demand. which we don't. hopefully they will rerun this soon.
may end up having to buy it.