PDA

View Full Version : Tim Russert dead at 58

Double Down
06.13.08, 11:58 AM
Wow. :eek:

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/entertainment/16601109/detail.html

Tim Russert, host of NBC's "Meet the Press" and a political analyst for "NBC Nightly News" and the "Today" program, has died after suffering an apparent heart attack. He was 58.

Tom Brokaw, the former anchor of NBC Nightly News, came on air during a special report Friday afternoon and said Russert collapsed and died while at work in the NBC news bureau in Washington, D.C.

Brokaw said Russert's death came during a political campaign that "he loved." He called Russert a "beloved colleague" and "one of the premier journalists of our time."

"This news division will not be the same without his strong, clear voice," Brokaw said. "He'll be missed as he was loved greatly."

Russert joined NBC News in 1984. He took the helm of "Meet the Press" in December 1991 and turned it into the most widely watched program of its type in the nation. His signature trait there was an unrelenting style of questioning.

Russert has interviewed every major figure on the American political scene, said his biography on the show's Web site.

Earlier this year, Time magazine named him one of the 100 most influential people in the world. Washingtonian magazine also once dubbed Russert the best journalist in town, and described "Meet the Press" as "the most interesting and important hour on television.

Russert was born in Buffalo, N.Y., on May 7, 1950. He is a graduate of John Carroll University and also graduated with honors from the Cleveland-Marshall College of Law.

Russert is survived by his wife, Maureen Orth, a writer for Vanity Fair magazine, and his son, Luke.

VanHalenRules
06.13.08, 12:03 PM
Used to love watching him dig into a politician gradually during and interview. This Presidential Race is going to be a bit less interesting without him.

RIP Mr. Russert

mistere
06.13.08, 12:08 PM
It's a conspiracy.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

RIP Big Russ.

VictoriaVH
06.13.08, 12:16 PM
What a shock. So sad....

Wickett
06.13.08, 12:33 PM
RIP.

I loved his old show on MSNBC (or might have been CNBC) where he got the chance to interview people not involved in politics.

Guitar Shark
06.13.08, 12:40 PM
Wow. One of the few greats who was able to ask the tough questions without his politics getting in the way.

He will be missed - RIP.

drummr
06.13.08, 12:42 PM
He had great enthusiasm and love for his work which made me and many others enjoy watching politics on the news. Rest in peace Mr. Russert.

Mister Bullethead
06.13.08, 12:43 PM
RIP Tim Russert, you were a highly likeable political correspondent for those who don't particularly like politics. He was not your typical stuffy political pundit, he was in a class by himself. I always enjoyed hearing what he had to say, even if I did not care what he was talking about.

Dr5115
06.13.08, 12:53 PM
The above post sum it up, he did his job very well.

I loved when he interviewed Ray Nagon (mayor of New Orleans) after Katrina. He ripped Nagon, pulled out the city document stating that the "mayor is responsible for the evacutation of it's citiziens" great interview.

He'll be missed................

EVHgirl in Va
06.13.08, 12:55 PM
I am so sad about this! I loved watching him on Meet The Press on Sundays. Especially, when James Carville and Mary Matalin were on a few yrs back.

This election just won't hold the excitement that he brought to the table... great interviews, tough/ intelligent questions but always a gentleman - never a mud slinging jerk. And no more white board on election night!!!!!

RIP Tim, you'll be truly missed.:{

rchop84
06.13.08, 01:00 PM
Man..what a shock. Best interviewer ever.

SuckaInA3Piece
06.13.08, 01:08 PM
I was a fan. This one hurts. RIP Tim. :(

smithjc
06.13.08, 01:11 PM
Wow that was so sudden. Very sad.

RIP. :(

Axxman300
06.13.08, 01:23 PM
This is the worst day of the year for news junkies like myself.

Russert was THE BEST interviewer - of any kind of subject - ever. While other talking heads claim a "No Spin Zone" it was only on Meet The Press where those who spun got their asses handed to them. Russert got to the point, even if it took the entire show because his tough interviews were like a boxing match. Even so, the interview was never about Tim Russert and the guest always got a fair shake.

Alway professional, always objective and always respectful. I could always count on a quality "Big Picture" assessment from him.

He had a second interview show on CNBC where he interviewed authors about a variety of subjects. My all time favorite was his interview with Steve Martin last year about Steve's book. I learned more about Steve Martin in one hour then I had learned over the past 30 years.

Blue skies, Tim.

hain23x
06.13.08, 01:59 PM
wow! what a shocker! so sad.:{

he was one of the few journalists that all the other news guys respected. You could really feel it on MSNBC during all the primary nights when he would be on the other journalists were like "wow! Tim's here!!! step it up!"

RIP lil' Russ

Daisy Hill
06.13.08, 02:17 PM
Shocking...this was news of immense import in our household of Russert fans. Of course our loss as news junkies is picayune compared to the Russert family's loss of their husband, father and son, but he will be sorely missed by so many.

I loved his show for his toughness, fairness, and deep knowledge of whatever subject was at hand. He NEVER seemed less than completely prepared, and treated all his interviews with respect (whether you felt they deserved it or not). You always got the feeling that he did what he did because he deeply cared about the issues, not in an abstract way, but because they affected people, and he cared about people.

One of the greats, and no one will fill those shoes soon.

smithjc
06.13.08, 02:18 PM
Definitely gonna be hard to replace on Meet the Press, if they can even find a replacement. Pretty big shoes to fill. :(

loveevhsince79
06.13.08, 02:26 PM
I really loved watching him go at it with such intelligent questions. I will miss him and his show. RIP

Kevy5150
06.13.08, 02:29 PM
rip.

MF5150
06.13.08, 02:34 PM
Always loved his interviews. He did an interview with Mike Wallace a couple years ago...and it was one of the best interviews I have ever watched.

Wallace's amazing stories mixed with Russert's great interviewing style made it really interesting to watch.

RIP Tim

Executionor
06.13.08, 03:23 PM
RIP Tim. I enjoyed watching him interview politicians. I just recently read his book "Wisdom of our Fathers". He was a true human being. I will miss watching him. Too sad.

nicholas_kudochop
06.13.08, 04:25 PM
That was shocking to hear...really sad. He'll be missed.

Brett
06.13.08, 04:44 PM
Wow great interviewer, very sad.

loveevhsince79
06.13.08, 04:46 PM
NBC dedicated their entire evening news cast to him. It was a very touching tribute and showed how much he was loved and respected among his colleagues. It was interesting to note that his white board was requested by the Smithsonian.

It has to be hard to grasp for his wife and son as he just arrived back from Italy where the family was vacationing as a present for his son's graduation. He had left them there and came back to work.

AT
06.13.08, 06:09 PM
This is the worst day of the year for news junkies like myself.

Russert was THE BEST interviewer - of any kind of subject - ever. While other talking heads claim a "No Spin Zone" it was only on Meet The Press where those who spun got their asses handed to them. Russert got to the point, even if it took the entire show because his tough interviews were like a boxing match. Even so, the interview was never about Tim Russert and the guest always got a fair shake.

Alway professional, always objective and always respectful. I could always count on a quality "Big Picture" assessment from him.

He had a second interview show on CNBC where he interviewed authors about a variety of subjects. My all time favorite was his interview with Steve Martin last year about Steve's book. I learned more about Steve Martin in one hour then I had learned over the past 30 years.

Blue skies, Tim.

This was very well said, Axx.

I was so shocked and saddened to hear about this earlier today. Tim Russert truly was in a class all his own. I just can't imagine Meet The Press without him. He was such a pleasure to watch, and even though he was tough it was still very easy to take in his interviews and broadcasts. He had so much enthusiasm for his work and was so dedicated to it.

The Bills MUST win a Super Bowl now and dedicate the win to Mr. Russert!

RIP Tim. You will be severely missed.

edwardv
06.13.08, 08:16 PM
RIP...hes only 8 yrs older then me...jezzzz

pal1800
06.13.08, 08:28 PM
Discipline, hard work, and being fully prepared, those were trademarks of his career and his life. I heard it this afternoon and since I got home I have found myself glued to the coverage on all of the news networks. I am very touched to hear all of these wonderful stories relayed by so many of his colleuges and friends. He was one of the few (especially in the political world of today) that was truly fair and never let his own views get in the way of letting the American people know the facts. A humble man with great honor and integrity. We will miss, God Bless him and his family.

wombattt
06.13.08, 08:58 PM
Shocked and sad to find out about Tim Russert....58 is just too young...I'm gonna miss his sharp mind and easy style in this Presidential race.

hotforteacher921
06.13.08, 09:10 PM
RIP, Tim.

Wickett
06.13.08, 09:28 PM
There was a touching tribute to him on Conan tonight. In addition to Tim being on the show multiple times, Luke was a intern on the show. Not anything extraordinary about the tribute, but it was touching to see Conan completely out of "character" during the segment, giving tribute to Russert.

Jeffc12
06.13.08, 09:46 PM
Very sad. He was fair. He wasn't out to get anyone, but he never let these pukes that are paid by our tax dollers lie to us on his show. He loved the U.S. and always was looking out for the people when he interviewed political leaders. One of the last greats in the media. Sad day. :{

Stiil_A_Fan
06.13.08, 09:51 PM
The word that describes him best for me is Integrity.

I will miss his candor RIP.

OLO
06.14.08, 01:39 PM
Dateline did a great hour long show on Tim last night.

RIP Tim.

Red
06.14.08, 04:37 PM
I was driving on the interstate yesterday when I heard this, and it bothered me so much that I missed my exit.

Last week in one of the politically-themed threads, the subject of political talking heads came up briefly, and I almost chimed in with praises for Tim Russert. I try to listen to all sides, and while there are others who I enjoy for the content of their shows, Russert always struck me as being a very decent person. He asked tough questions, but he was a gentleman, and that is becoming a lost trait, frankly.

I really, really hate that this has happened. And he seemed younger than 58, I would've guessed 50, maybe.

My deepest condolences to his wife and his son. It'll be a tough weekend for sure.

loveevhsince79
06.14.08, 06:55 PM
Dateline did a great hour long show on Tim last night.

RIP Tim.

I caught that as well and then again this morning with Matt Lauer on the Today show. Last night was hard to hear Tom Brokaw say that he had passed away because you could hear his voice cracking a bit. It was impressive that he held it together considering that they were friends.

I think what is so touching watching these tributes is how much he adored his dad and what a dedicated father he was to his own son. I'm definitely going to pick up Wisdom of Our Fathers at the library.

JCJanko
06.14.08, 08:39 PM
As a Buffalo native, this is a huge loss as he exemplified the pride and work ethic of the average Buffalonian, and wasn't afraid to let people know where it came from.

As someone big into politics, it is blatantly apparent that most "journalists" have an agenda that shines brightly every time they open their mouths. Tim Russert was one of a few exceptions. He kicked everyone's ass!

EDIT: GO BILLS! (and Sabres, as I saw a clip of him with a Sabres jersey)!

AT
06.14.08, 09:47 PM
I'm only going to be paraphrasing, but in one of the many clips of Tim Russert that was being shown Friday, one was an interview of him in the mid-90s talking about what he did to prepare when he got the Meet The Press mediator job. He said the first thing he did was call the very first host (whose name escapes me right now) to ask what his primary focus on the show should be. That host's reply was: "Learn about someone's stance, then take the other side." I think Russert took that advice very seriously and did a spectacular job being fair to all.

He struck me as someone who checked his ego at the door and let dignity, decency, honor, and respect steer him in family and work. This is such a devastating loss because that kind of character in the vast landscape of political journalism is just so incredibly rare. Who will pick up the slack? It's just a tough loss for so many people, in so many ways.

smithjc
06.14.08, 09:53 PM
I didn't know his family wasn't even there when this happened. How very sad for them to have to return to the states and face all this. :(

I think all the tributes are great. It's nice to see all of the respect he's earned from everybody who met and worked with him. He's definitely left a true legacy.

JCJanko
06.14.08, 11:34 PM
I'm only going to be paraphrasing, but in one of the many clips of Tim Russert that was being shown Friday, one was an interview of him in the mid-90s talking about what he did to prepare when he got the Meet The Press mediator job. He said the first thing he did was call the very first host (whose name escapes me right now) to ask what his primary focus on the show should be. That host's reply was: "Learn about someone's stance, then take the other side." I think Russert took that advice very seriously and did a spectacular job being fair to all.

He struck me as someone who checked his ego at the door and let dignity, decency, honor, and respect steer him in family and work. This is such a devastating loss because that kind of character in the vast landscape of political journalism is just so incredibly rare. Who will pick up the slack? It's just a tough loss for so many people, in so many ways.

You have simply nailed him as a person and a professional.

VanHalenRules
06.15.08, 10:20 AM
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The moderator's chair on NBC's "Meet the Press" stood empty on Sunday in remembrance of Tim Russert, the man who had occupied it for 17 years.

He died Friday of apparent heart attack, according to the network. He was 58. The network said Russert collapsed while at work.

Colleague and former NBC anchor Tom Brokaw, who broke the news about the anchor's death, spoke on Sunday the familiar first four words of the news program, "Our issues this Sunday." He noted that those were the same words Russert had been recording for the show when he collapsed and died. Watch Brokaw break the news

"Our issue this sad Sunday morning is remembering and honoring our colleague and friend," Brokaw said.

"He said he was only the temporary custodian," of this program, which he called a national treasure, Brokaw said. "Of course, he was so much more than all that."

Brokaw sat among some of Russert's other colleagues in the front of the show's set, including Pulitzer Prize-winning author Doris Kearns Goodwin and political analysts Mary Matalin and James Carville, who is also a CNN contributor. Watch as Carville describes his friendship with Russert

"This is where you separated the men from the boys," said Matalin, who is married to Carville. "You weren't a candidate until you came on this show."

A montage of clips from past years showed various politicians -- former President Bill Clinton, President Bush, former presidential candidate Ross Perot, Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff -- sitting across the table from Russert. Watch politicians, journalists pay homage to Russert

Some showed the politicians as they squirmed.

"Look, I was asked - I shouldn't have said that," New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson said on the show in May 2007.

Richardson had appeared on the show as part of the "Meet the Candidates 2008" series, and was grilled by Russert about his contradictory positions on numerous issues.

"So you're - I've been in public life for 25 years, you're going to find a lot of these; it seems you found them all here," he said, smiling somewhat sheepishly.

"I'm just trying to set the record and trying to give you a chance to respond, which is fair," Russert had responded.

In another clip at the end of an April 2006 show, Sen. John McCain told Russert, "I haven't had so much fun since my last interrogation."

Russert had appeared as an unlikely icon for television news, with his cherubic face and dimpled chin, but he was a prolific interviewer and tireless journalist, one with an intimidating breadth of political knowledge and insight.

"It was a very easy show to prepare for in the sense that you knew he was not going to ask you any questions out of left field; you knew his thing was going to be entitlements, you knew his thing was going to be past statements, you knew where he was coming from," Carville said Sunday of "Meet the Press."

Matalin countered: "It was simple in the fact that there was no 'gotcha,' but it was not easy. Because you had to be 10 questions deep, because he was going to be 12 questions deep."

As news of his death hit the airwaves and Internet, tributes rolled in -- with nearly everyone praising his prowess as a journalist and as an interviewer.

Bush, in a written statement, called Russert "a tough and hardworking newsman."

"He was always well-informed and thorough in his interviews," Bush said. "And he was as gregarious off the set as he was prepared on it."

Longtime CBS news anchor Walter Cronkite said, "Broadcast journalism lost one of its greats today. Tim Russert was a giant in our field -- a standard-bearer of journalistic integrity and ethics. His masterful interviews and roundtable discussions are legendary. This is a tragic loss for journalism and for all who were privileged to know him."

But colleagues who knew him best also praised his warmth, and described him as a mentor.

"I think it's so poignant that we're talking about Tim on Father's Day because he was a father to so many of us," said California first lady Maria Shriver, who once worked for NBC.

On Friday, NBC chief foreign affairs correspondent Andrea Mitchell said, "He was always teaching each of us to be as rigorous as he was in looking at all the facts, examining everything and then being as balanced and fair and down-the-middle as anyone could possibly be."

Washingtonian Magazine once dubbed Russert the best and most influential journalist in Washington, D.C., describing "Meet the Press" as "the most interesting and important hour on television."

In 2008, Time Magazine named him one of the 100 most influential people in the world. His two books -- 2004's "Big Russ and Me" and 2006's "Wisdom of Our Fathers" -- were both New York Times bestsellers.