PDA

View Full Version : 'Brokeback Mountain' to premiere as opera in 2013

voivod
06.08.08, 03:37 PM
Opera?? I figured more of a Broadway musical...

NEW YORK - The New York City Opera commissioned Charles Wuorinen to compose an opera based on "Brokeback Mountain," the 1997 short story by Annie Proulx that became the basis for a 2005 movie that won three Academy Awards.

The opera is scheduled to premiere in spring 2013, City Opera said Sunday. It will be City Opera's second Wuorinen premiere, following "Haroun and the Sea of Stories," which was based on a Salman Rushdie novel and opened in October 2004.

"Ever since encountering Annie Proulx's extraordinary story I have wanted to make an opera on it, and it gives me great joy that Gerard Mortier and New York City Opera have given me the opportunity to do so," Wuorinen said in a statement.

"Brokeback Mountain" is a cowboy romance about two ranch-hand buddies who start a homosexual affair when they meet on the fictional mountain in 1963.

nicholas_kudochop
06.08.08, 03:48 PM
I'll make sure to not see that, just like I didn't see the movie. :)

Double Down
06.08.08, 04:15 PM
Is it possible to see the words "Brokeback Mountain" and not start laughing? :sssh: :spit:

VictoriaVH
06.08.08, 04:22 PM
I LOVE that movie. It's quite a beautiful love story (for the non-homophobic, that is... :rolleyes:)

Don't know how well it will translate into an opera, though.

eden
06.08.08, 04:28 PM
I LOVE that movie. It's quite a beautiful love story (for the non-homophobic, that is... :rolleyes:)

Don't know how well it will translate into an opera, though.

I'm with you, girl. Easily my favorite movie of all time. Absolutely breathtaking in every way.

but the opera thing......gosh, just not really a fan of that "genre", so to speak.

Double Down
06.08.08, 04:34 PM

Don't roll your eyes at me. :p :)

If not wanting to watch two cowboys make out and screw each other makes me homophobic then I guess I'm homophobic. Because yes, that makes me want to puke. :)

eden
06.08.08, 04:46 PM
Don't roll your eyes at me. :p :)

If not wanting to watch two cowboys make out and screw each other makes me homophobic then I guess I'm homophobic. Because yes, that makes me want to puke. :)

how about watching two cowgirls make out and screw each other?

c'mon now, you're taking too much time here bud.....make a decision! Would you like to watch that or not, huh???

I'm waiting.......:D

Double Down
06.08.08, 04:56 PM
how about watching two cowgirls make out and screw each other?

I don't want to meet the guy that doesn't want to watch that. ;)

eden
06.08.08, 05:02 PM

that's my boy. :thumb:

voivod
06.08.08, 05:05 PM

You'll find him in line at WalMart buying the Director's Cut of Brokeback Mountain...

Double Down
06.08.08, 05:16 PM
You'll find him in line at WalMart buying the Director's Cut of Brokeback Mountain...

Lol.....:spit: I definitely don't want to meet that guy! :barf:

VanRoth07
06.08.08, 07:04 PM

theres a directors cut of Brokeback Muntain?, YIPPIE!!!:rolleyes:

csm5150
06.09.08, 04:32 AM
Everytime I hear that, I think of the Family Guy episode where someone was writing it from the horse's perspective. Funny as hell. If I wasn't so tired, I'd look it up on YouTube.

ZeoBandit
06.09.08, 05:06 AM
So, are they going to do the sex scenes n the opera?

graeme
06.09.08, 05:16 AM
So, are they going to do the sex scenes n the opera?

That's when the male lead hits the high C note.........

pal1800
06.09.08, 08:51 AM
Can't wait.

rchop84
06.09.08, 09:36 AM
Anne Hathaway's topless scene is the only reason to watch that movie.

I dont know how those guys did a couple of those scenes without laughing, being that they're straight. I'm assuming.

Daisy Hill
06.09.08, 11:18 AM
Anne Hathaway's topless scene is the only reason to watch that movie.

I dont know how those guys did a couple of those scenes without laughing, being that they're straight. I'm assuming.

I don't know if Heath was a straight , but I do know that he's now a stiff

rchop84
06.09.08, 12:25 PM
[/B]

I don't know if Heath was a straight , but I do know that he's now a stiff

Ouch.

Viking
06.09.08, 02:03 PM
Yes, I think it's safe to say that Heath Ledger will not be starring in the Opera version of this one.

Did anyone else notice that Heath made out with Jake Gyllenhal in "Brokeback Mountain" and that Maggie Gyllenhal is in "The Dark Knight"? Does he lay some slop on her too?

Also I don't like the term 'Homophobic'. It insinuates a fear of gay people. I'm not scared of them, I just don't like them much. I don't run across the street screaming when I see gay people. I don't understand two people of the same sex getting it on. I mean, what part of a man shoving his penis into another mans ass becomes a beautiful love story? :wtf:

Charvel2
06.10.08, 04:26 AM
Until someone comes up with a better word than 'homophobic' to describe an irrational aversion to homosexual people, it's all we've got.

Brokeback Mountain is a terrific movie. It's not at all sexually explicit. In fact, the most explicit of the handful of sex scenes is a heterosexual one. It's a movie about a taboo relationship, first and foremost. And a damn good movie at that. Not sure how the short story would translate into an opera, but then I'm not much of a fan of the form.

billy007
06.10.08, 05:27 AM
what's worse is that "homophobic" should mean "afraid of man", not just gays! I ain't afraid of no man - well, maybe some...I mean, there are probably a few dudes out there that can't beat me up...do kids count?...

nicholas_kudochop
06.10.08, 02:45 PM
Also I don't like the term 'Homophobic'. It insinuates a fear of gay people. I'm not scared of them, I just don't like them much.

For me, it's not that I don't like them...it's just that I don't care.

pal1800
06.10.08, 03:45 PM
The homosexual community does not bother me. It's the RADICAL Homosexual movement that irritates me. It's the radical anything that irritates me. Radicals ruin it for many groups.

Viking
06.10.08, 07:06 PM
Until someone comes up with a better word than 'homophobic' to describe an irrational aversion to homosexual people, it's all we've got.

Brokeback Mountain is a terrific movie. It's not at all sexually explicit. In fact, the most explicit of the handful of sex scenes is a heterosexual one. It's a movie about a taboo relationship, first and foremost. And a damn good movie at that. Not sure how the short story would translate into an opera, but then I'm not much of a fan of the form.

Some of us don't feel it's irrational aversion, I think it's one hundred percent rational.

Darkstar
06.10.08, 10:58 PM
I mean, what part of a man shoving his penis into another mans ass becomes a beautiful love story? :wtf:

Sorry to those folks that did like the movie but........that did make me laugh out loud! :funny:

Number 47
06.11.08, 04:10 PM
8uwuLxrv8jY