PDA

View Full Version : Andrew's (melodicrock.com) interview with Sammy

atomicpunk5150
08.18.06, 03:50 AM
I just read the news that Andrew over at www.melodicrock.com (http://www.melodicrock.com/) recently interviewed Sammy and will post the interview sometime next week.

Considering the fact that Andrew is a regular visitor here, it should make for an interesting read. Can't wait till it's up :thumb: .

RcoasterA
08.18.06, 04:49 AM
Just read it, and let me tell you it is awesome. I love that guy, check that site daily, and had a very postive review, with only a few complaints, of his new alblum, check out the link http://www.melodicrock.com/reviews/reviews.html. Also, he snagged an interview with the Red Rocker and will post it soon. Cant wait for that!

Raldo
08.18.06, 05:11 AM
Andrew knows that this site is dying for some positive VH news so I'm sure he asked Sammy some direct questions about VH.

AJHV
08.18.06, 07:46 AM
I can’t wait for this interview. Ya this guy is a hard core VH Fan. I love his site too. go to it almost everyday

the_atomic_punks_rule
08.18.06, 11:02 AM
Andrew knows that this site is dying for some positive VH news so I'm sure he asked Sammy some direct questions about VH.

Let's see...I loved VH, it was a magical time, someone needs to clean up his act, they can join us anytime, Cabo, beach, lifestyle, and Cabo. Did I mention Cabo?

smithjc
08.18.06, 11:08 AM
Well given what we've heard from the Red Rocker in past interviews, wonder what he's spinnin this time around?

venom thrust
08.18.06, 04:05 PM
Andrew usually gives us a heads-up. So where has he been? Oh Andrew!!!

LLFHS
08.18.06, 05:51 PM
I have no idea what Sam will say, but nevertheless.....

SNTSTFU.

:D

smithjc
08.18.06, 10:12 PM
Yeah no argument there. :cool:

melodicrock
08.19.06, 01:13 AM
Hey folks,
Thanks for the kind words at the top of the thread :)

As for the interview....man, I have waited 10 years to do this, so to fit 10 years of Qs into a 15 minute interview wasn't going to work!

I requested extra time (as 15 is the standard set for the interviews....all done in multiple blocks)

I got to call 5 mins early for a 20 minute interview, as I had someone else right after me.

Thankfully things went so well that Sammy ignored the incoming calls and I got nearly 40 minutes with him.

A lot to cover and I am yet to go back and transcribe it, but I think it went really well and will be a good read.

I couldn't really get into any 1 topic in any depth, given the need to cover the new album and tour primarily, but I think I got a few answers out of him that haven't yet been said...but of course, I also recognized a few answers from following interviews posted here...

Bottom line - Sammy was super cool, very friendly and I'll enjoy getting the interview online mid-late next week.

On VH - no re-union or friendly phone calls imminent :(

See ya,
Andrew.

Foamfoot
08.19.06, 05:28 AM
Hey folks,

As for the interview....man, I have waited 10 years to do this, so to fit 10 years of Qs into a 15 minute interview wasn't going to work!

I requested extra time (as 15 is the standard set for the interviews....all done in multiple blocks)

I got to call 5 mins early for a 20 minute interview, as I had someone else right after me.

Thankfully things went so well that Sammy ignored the incoming calls and I got nearly 40 minutes with him.

A lot to cover and I am yet to go back and transcribe it, but I think it went really well and will be a good read.

I couldn't really get into any 1 topic in any depth, given the need to cover the new album and tour primarily, but I think I got a few answers out of him that haven't yet been said...but of course, I also recognized a few answers from following interviews posted here...

Bottom line - Sammy was super cool, very friendly and I'll enjoy getting the interview online mid-late next week.

See ya,
Andrew.

Thanks Andrew!

Ain't Talkin' Bout' Love
08.20.06, 06:17 AM
Hey folks,

See ya,
Andrew.

Thanks for the post bro, looking forward to it.

VanBlu
08.20.06, 08:43 AM
sweet! I bet that was a good time! Thanks for you effort!! :headbang:

gonzo67
08.20.06, 09:16 AM
Andrew, I look forward to the interview. Being a rock fan who lives in Seattle, WA, I enjoy the work you do and I know the interview will come out well.
I am a Van Halen fan with DLR and Sammy and don't get the small minded people, who while picking favorites, have to slam either lead singer based on their favorites, especially the DLR fans.
I am looking to forward to seeing DLR in Tacoma, Wa in November as well as making my first B-Day Bash to Cabo Oct 6-11th.
Like Sammy, life is to short to not do what you want and do those things that you enjoy.

Cheers

Hey folks,

See ya,
Andrew.

voa38
08.20.06, 05:18 PM
Hey folks,

See ya,
Andrew.
Thanks for posting Andrew,looking forward to the interview.

smithjc
08.20.06, 08:21 PM
So no VH reunion or friendly phone calls imminent eh? Bummer. :(

But lookin forward to the interview. Thanks for the heads-up tho.

ARMBI (with the Diamond One). :cool:

I know. J/K! :D

THE MARD
08.20.06, 08:44 PM
Can't Wait! :thumb:

smithjc
08.20.06, 08:47 PM
Hey MARD you don't post too much nowadays, but I gotta tell ya, I love the quote in your siggy. It's pretty kewl. :cool:

Sorry for the off-topic mention. Continue with discussion.

padraig5150
08.21.06, 02:52 AM
Thanks for keeping us posted, Andrew! :thumb:

melodicrock
08.21.06, 03:51 PM
I'm goign to start the transcribing of this today....so stay tuned...

extreme red roth
08.22.06, 04:16 AM

Dude!

LOC
08.22.06, 09:49 AM
hope it's spelled better than your post! lol

jk, bro...keep up the good work, you score some killer interviews...

You keep writing...we'll keep reading..

servoguy101
08.23.06, 11:54 AM
Ya its like seeing your x-mas gift before the rest of the world.. :bounce: :bounce: .. but then finding out its not what you wanted... :brickwall :brickwall

melodicrock
08.23.06, 05:03 PM
Ok, I'm more than 3 quarters thru it now...perhaps I can get it online late tonight.

I think it's a cool interview...hope others agree :)

As for my spelling - all typos are blamed on this lame keyboard I have. Cost a packet also....I hate it.

venom thrust
08.23.06, 05:08 PM
Go for it!!

loveevhsince79
08.24.06, 05:00 AM
Ok, I'm more than 3 quarters thru it now...perhaps I can get it online late tonight.

I think it's a cool interview...hope others agree :)

As for my spelling - all typos are blamed on this lame keyboard I have. Cost a packet also....I hate it.

Hurray! We're anxious to read it. :thumb: Hopefully it won't be Sammy ripping Edward to shreds.

melodicrock
08.24.06, 07:02 PM
Interview is online but not yet linked from the site frontpage.

Enjoy the advance read: http://www.melodicrock.com/interviews/sammyhagar.html

Please don't copy and paste the whole thing into this or another thread.
But of course, feel free to copy & paste highlights or points of interest. I think there are plenty!

Let me know what you all think...

Best regards,
Andrew.

Van Squalen
08.24.06, 07:38 PM

But of course, feel free to copy & paste highlights or points of interest. I think there are plenty!

Best regards,
Andrew.

Whoa. That was quite a lot to digest. Some interesting new little tidbits and revelations, good, bad, and in-between.

It really does sound like Sam's being honest.

Thanks, Andrew.

Foamfoot
08.24.06, 07:43 PM
*whew*.. Good, interesting, disfunctional read, Andrew! Sad, but true, I guess. Thanks for posting it!!!!!!!

Greenpaw
08.24.06, 07:50 PM
Whoa. That was quite a lot to digest. Some interesting new little tidbits and revelations, good, bad, and in-between.

It really does sound like Sam's being honest.

Thanks, Andrew.

What he said.

Cool, I got in before the first :

"Sam needs to shut the fuck up"

:smokin:

Great interview Andrew :headbang:

venom thrust
08.24.06, 07:53 PM
Andrew your the man!! Wow really seems like Eddie needs a attitude change, and not wanting Mike on the last tour what is that all about?? If this band ever gets back together it will be a miracle. You asked great questions all the ones I would have. Sill holding out for a reunion with dave. Thanks andrew!!

Foamfoot
08.24.06, 07:54 PM
"Sam needs to shut the fuck up"

DAMN YOU!!!! Beat me to it....

Foamfoot
08.24.06, 07:56 PM
I have a request for the next interview :D ... especially if it's Michael.

Does the full-length version of Oakland 1981 exist?

DreamIsOver
08.24.06, 08:19 PM
This is a scary sentence...
" but I'll tell you …right now, David is more user friendly than Eddie."

Great interview.

valdez44
08.24.06, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the interview Andrew! :cool: It'll take me awhile to digest it all as well, but definitely a cool read. :thumb:

ouncie33
08.24.06, 09:07 PM
I love to read Sammy interviews because he always seems really down to earth and honest but with a very positive attitude. I think that a lot of times when Sammy is interviewed he takes a lot of flack about being honest about Eddie and Van Halen. My question is, why should he? From what I've read the reunion tour was a hard thing for Sam because of Eddie's persistant drinking and bad attitude toward Sammy. Michael Anthony has insinuated that a certain member of VH needs to sober up before he can tour again. When Sammy's saying something about Eddie that's 100% true, why should he catch flack? I mean, come on. In most interviews Sammy gives Eddie his due respect as one of the most talented guitarists ever. He's not knocking his talent as a guitarist. He's saying that he needs to sober up. And Sammy's not the only person saying it. Other people who are in popular bands have said it as well. Remember that year that he was at Namm and everyone who came into contact with Eddie talked about how wasted he was and his weird behavior? I mean come on, as far as I can tell he lost his wife of several years because of his prob with alcohol.

Phatie
08.24.06, 09:10 PM

Best regards,
Andrew.

"I heard Eddie had been sick with cancer and is aid, you know…if this guy dies and we never do this, it's gonna be a shame for everybody."

Andrew, please clarify if this is the exact quote? Eddie is "aid" ? Acquired Immune Deficient?

Thanks mate,
Ph@

melodicrock
08.24.06, 09:42 PM
"I heard Eddie had been sick with cancer and is aid, you know…if this guy dies and we never do this, it's gonna be a shame for everybody."

Andrew, please clarify if this is the exact quote? Eddie is "aid" ? Acquired Immune Deficient?

Thanks mate,
Ph@

TYPO!

Should read "I said"... thanks for finding that!

VanFreakinHalen
08.24.06, 10:04 PM
Thanks Andrew!! Excellent interview, you were able to get a little more detail out of Sam than I have ever heard before.

mrfibb
08.24.06, 11:27 PM
Sammy is Van Halen now. He's the one that carries the torch, the one they lost in 96, the one that Twister seemed to put an end to.

Somebody will bash him for saying some of this stuff, but I think if you look at the reason we all became fans of this band, you'd have to admit that Sam is the one that best represents that reason now. Van Halen used to bring smiles to our faces, but now all they do is perplex us.

Great interview Andrew. You should be working for a major publication not worrying about your own cash flow. You are a fan but never seem to be 'starstruck.' Keep it up mate!

belikemike
08.25.06, 12:57 AM
great interview. thanks for all the effort. some interesting new stuff, most of it not that positive on another VH record or tour though. oh well, maybe it's gonna be dave or the grave for the band. i'm almost sure they're gonna screw mikey on any deal they do.
one last thing -- kinda sounded like the kenny chesney thing tweaked sam a little bit. i wonder if chesney really did call up sam and say "how did you do it". if so, that's not positive news for the future of VH -- another confirmation of what we all were pretty sure was true.

servoguy101
08.25.06, 04:25 AM
ANDY.. The link goes to the John Waite interview......

melodicrock
08.25.06, 04:27 AM
Andrew your the man!! Wow really seems like Eddie needs a attitude change, and not wanting Mike on the last tour what is that all about?? If this band ever gets back together it will be a miracle. You asked great questions all the ones I would have. Sill holding out for a reunion with dave. Thanks andrew!!

Thanks Venom...now, let's see if I can't get Dave on the phone next!

melodicrock
08.25.06, 04:32 AM
Great interview Andrew. You should be working for a major publication not worrying about your own cash flow. You are a fan but never seem to be 'starstruck.' Keep it up mate!

Really appreciate all the great posts and positive feedback here....such feedback means the most coming from the regulars here, I've been reading these boards and opinions almost as long as I've wanted a Sammy interview :)

To mrfibb - awesome man, thanks. I'm ALWAYS a fan first...hard not to be star stuck in this instance, but it worked. I think you always get a little more from artists when they can recognize you are a true fan.
As for cash flow....arrghh...every day man, every day!

melodicrock
08.25.06, 04:33 AM
ANDY.. The link goes to the John Waite interview......

Sorry, that was another foobar from my frontpage update I just did....it's 11pm here, I'm not thinking straight anymore...haha.

FIXED!

loveevhsince79
08.25.06, 04:49 AM
Thanks so much for the interview Andrew. Great read. It's honest without getting into the little details that are better left unsaid.

I am trying to understand a bit of the interview and hope you can clarify. It's this statement:

"Montrose Sammy?
I think like Van Halen, Montrose for me is too retro…I can't go back and do an album. Every year I try to do something with Ronnie and Phil and Denny…you know, we've done it for a few years in a row, and it's great…but it's best to keep it like that.
But to say I'm going to put Montrose back together and go out and do a major album and major tour – I can't do that.
It was a great band…really really a great band. But I'm just so different from that now."

So what's he saying, even if Edward comes around, Edward's style is too retro and he, Sam, is so different from it now that he would not be able to do it? It seems contradictory to saying he would love to do something again if Edward has an attitude change. Edward is what he is. I'm not trying to pick Sammy apart but maybe he did not enjoy making new music with VH because of the style so he had no patience for the process.

cokemach1
08.25.06, 04:51 AM
Andrew,

Great read! Thanks a lot! You ROCK!

When Sammy was talking in the interview about Eddie being the best guitarist of all time, or certainly one of them (no doubt), I'm willing to bet he was referring to "Jimi", not "Jimmy". Sorry Zep-heads.

"F" THE ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME!!! :p :p

wip5150
08.25.06, 05:11 AM
OUTSTANDING interview, Andrew. If you had ANY nervousness, it sure didn't show. You kicked ass on this one! :thumb:

melodicrock
08.25.06, 05:12 AM
Thanks so much for the interview Andrew. Great read. It's honest without getting into the little details that are better left unsaid.

I am trying to understand a bit of the interview and hope you can clarify. It's this statement:

"Montrose Sammy?
I think like Van Halen, Montrose for me is too retro…I can't go back and do an album. Every year I try to do something with Ronnie and Phil and Denny…you know, we've done it for a few years in a row, and it's great…but it's best to keep it like that.
But to say I'm going to put Montrose back together and go out and do a major album and major tour – I can't do that.
It was a great band…really really a great band. But I'm just so different from that now."

So what's he saying, even if Edward comes around, Edward's style is too retro and he, Sam, is so different from it now that he would not be able to do it? It seems contradictory to saying he would love to do something again if Edward has an attitude change. Edward is what he is. I'm not trying to pick Sammy apart but maybe he did not enjoy making new music with VH because of the style so he had no patience for the process.

The way the interview flowed at the time made more sense than the transcript here shows...
He talked about not wanting to go back, wanting to move forward...so I think he meant that Montrose would only be a nostalgia thing....whereas VH could possibly be, but if everyone was on song, VanHalen could still be relevant and push forwards.

That's my take on that anyway...

Raldo
08.25.06, 06:01 AM
Great job, Andrew!!!

I found some interesting things that I never knew before. I'm glad Sammy was open to answering the VH questions.

Now, if you can get Eddie on the phone for an interview....:D

Bad to the Bone
08.25.06, 10:53 AM
Y'know one thing I've always wanted to hear Sam comment on which I've really never heard him say anything about and I know the interview is over and it's a mute point but:

What does Sam think about LWAN?

What does Sam think about RHRN, video and CD?

I used to have a couple of interviews right when RHRN came out but I'd like to see what he thinks about them now.

Anyway, good interview...makes me sad because seems like Sam and Ed were really good friends, Sam even says "hey, he used to be my best friend" now they can't stand each other...what a shame.

loveevhsince79
08.25.06, 10:57 AM
Agreed BTTB. It's not like it happened over night. What changed, was it Sammy hooking up with Kari so he was concentrating on family rather than playing with the boys, was Eddie getting more eccentric, was Sammy losing interest? What happened?

sixstring
08.25.06, 11:03 AM
Andrew, once again, as always, STELLAR job, mate! And thanks for sharing! You are a true gentleman & scholar...;)

Although, after reading that, I must say I am truly, finally convinced my hero has lost his fucking mind...:{

I REALLY wonder what has made Ed's personality do a complete 180. According to Sam, it sounds like Ed's not even the same human being anymore. Sad, sad, sad...:confused:

WOW.

Bad to the Bone
08.25.06, 11:12 AM
Agreed BTTB. It's not like it happened over night. What changed, was it Sammy hooking up with Kari so he was concentrating on family rather than playing with the boys, was Eddie getting more eccentric, was Sammy losing interest? What happened?

I don't think Sam getting with Kari had anything to do with him losing interest. I think ed and al had a double standard. Remember when Sam first left he did an interview where he said that Ed and Al knew she was pregnant with a breech baby in hawaii and still wanted Sam in the studio? Sam said "where were you guys when your kids were born" and ed and al were home but pointed out that Mike was on the road when his kids were born.

Bottom line: VH has not been the same since Ray daniels got involved. Al should curse the day he introduced Ed to Ray. I don't know if Ed wa going nuts before hand but that seemed to push him over the edge. Go back and watch a show from the RHRN tour or better yet get your hands on an interview titled "Sammy drills Eddie" from one of the guitar mags. Sam is interviewing Ed and Ed says point blank "you inspire me" to sam. Best buds until 95 then it all went downhill. I noticed the change in the pre-balance interveiws with Ed, his look changed but so did everything else. When I heard the music I knew something had gone terribly wrong within the band.

Sam's still basically the same guy he was 20 years ago...a little older, a little heavier but basically the same, so is mike, so is al for the most part...ed, that's another story. I'm only going by interviews so I might be wrong but this is what I see.

sixstring
08.25.06, 11:28 AM
Andrew, once again, as always, STELLAR job, mate! And thanks for sharing! You are a true gentleman & scholar...;)

Although, after reading that, I must say I am truly, finally convinced my hero has lost his fucking mind...:{

I REALLY wonder what has made Ed's personality do a complete 180. According to Sam, it sounds like Ed's not even the same human being anymore. Sad, sad, sad...:confused:

WOW.

Just an addendum to my post:

Not that it's truly any of my business but, damn, what I wouldn't give to sit down and have a few beers with Steve Lukather to get the lowdown on Ed...

ziggysmalls
08.25.06, 12:25 PM
Just an addendum to my post:

Not that it's truly any of my business but, damn, what I wouldn't give to sit down and have a few beers with Steve Lukather to get the lowdown on Ed...

I agree. For some reason I wonder what happened to VH is like what happens to alot of people. Don't go into business with your friends. Eddie and Sam became buddies and then they started to have problems with their music.

Now it has come down to this.

venom thrust
08.25.06, 02:10 PM
Andrew, if you do get a interview with Roth ask him about the songs that were recorded with VH in 2000. We have heard that they did between 3 and 7 songs. Ask him what his thoughts are about them ever getting to see the light of day. After reading the Sammy interview I believe if the band van halen ever get together again it will be with Roth minus Mike. :headbang:

Duke
08.25.06, 02:51 PM
Andrew, if you do get a interview with Roth ask him about the songs that were recorded with VH in 2000. We have heard that they did between 3 and 7 songs. Ask him what his thoughts are about them ever getting to see the light of day. After reading the Sammy interview I believe if the band van halen ever get together again it will be with Roth minus Mike. :headbang:
Oh for Christ sake, give up on the Roth shit. In a thread meant to comment on and thank Andrew for a great piece of music journalism, this type of inane comment rears it's ugly head again. It's been said before over and over, DLR is not coming back, move on.

Now, i also would like to thank you Andrew for an excellent job, both now and in the past.
It is a shame, you can hear it just before Eddie's solo on RHRN, Sammy says "let's go over to my best friend and next door neighbor and see what's cookin" (or some such).
It may be a bigger shame than just losing the band, these guys were good friends, and i suspect Eddie's demons and many other outside forces have changed that beyond all recognition.

captain
08.25.06, 03:09 PM
Oh for Christ sake, give up on the Roth shit. In a thread meant to comment on and thank Andrew for a great piece of music journalism, this type of inane comment rears it's ugly head again. It's been said before over and over, DLR is not coming back, move on.

Now, i also would like to thank you Andrew for an excellent job, both now and in the past.
It is a shame, you can hear it just before Eddie's solo on RHRN, Sammy says "let's go over to my best friend and next door neighbor and see what's cookin" (or some such).
It may be a bigger shame than just losing the band, these guys were good friends, and i suspect Eddie's demons and many other outside forces have changed that beyond all recognition.

I just have this strange feeling that Dave will be back and I think that will tear an already fucked up Van Halen into pieces.

belikemike
08.25.06, 05:49 PM
I just have this strange feeling that Dave will be back and I think that will tear an already fucked up Van Halen into pieces.

Whether or not Ross is back, I believe VH is already torn into pieces. Anything we get from them in the future will be forced, and done for the money only ...just like the 2004 tour. I really, really believe Ed didn't have any interest in getting back together with Sam, and did it because of pressure from outside forces (maybe fans, maybe his kid, almost certainly Alex).
I have no reason to believe he wants to rehash with Dave. My guess is, he'd rather take on Sam than Dave. Certainly probably neither guy, but just guessing his order would be:
1) Something new and completely different
2) Gary
3) VH with new singer -- minus Mikey
4) Probably Sam
5) Dave

Maybe outside forces will force another reunion with somebody, but I think if EVH were to just break free of it and put out something completely new it would be a liberating experience. He might just find happy Ed again, if he can keep away from all the bashing he'll take from the VH fans for it.

marty
08.25.06, 05:52 PM
Great interview Andrew

Rovus
08.25.06, 06:09 PM
That was a great read. Thanks Andrew!

I look forward to some imported Cabo Wabo tequila. :cool:

mrfibb
08.26.06, 12:12 AM
Not a problem... I guess if you started working for a major publication though, you wouldn't be posting my Y&T reviews.

I'm serious though... you should contact the guys at Yahoo Music or that new Microsoft music venture... be their genre guy. If I happen to track down some contact info, I'll forward it along.

extreme red roth
08.26.06, 12:18 AM
Andrew -

You did a great job. Thanks very much for the interview. I enjoy the hell out of your site.

Michaels
08.26.06, 02:26 AM
Very nice, Sammy seemed to let A LOT out for you!!
I think a lot of fans were disappointed by 2004, for the fact that no interviews or no TV performances took place. We wanted our band back and was hoping for them to take their place back atop music. It all turned out to be a circus act, so we are left feeling like getting used for sex.
If I had one question for Sammy, I would need to ask if Van Halen has another 5150 in them, or a F.U.C.K.

MattWales
08.26.06, 08:39 AM
Sammy is on a trip!

All I know is Edward seems like a totaly cool dude. He seems laid back and just wants results. I mean how much cooler can you be. Kick back yet when it comes to putting out the hit music. He nails it everytime. I mean come on dude. it may not always be ROCK 40 but it is always great music.

So what if he wants it done right. or wants it done to what he hears in his head. Edward is off the hook as far as being up there. My goodness. Eddie is so talented and so creative and so good it is more then a tall order just to keep up let alone hang with the dude. I mean Sammy you should be counting your blessings. Because of Eddie your carreer was bigger then it ever would have been and lasted 20 more years then it should of.

I mean come dude. You left off at I cant dive 55. Then got lucky and joind 2 of the best musicians that ever lived. Alex and Edward.

So what if Edward is a little crazy like Amadeus. What makes a good music. The feeling. the crazyness.

I saw the sammy show. And I can see why Eddie doesnt want to go up there and CHEESE it up! I mean dude. Sammy. I love alot of your music. But fuck. Your milk'n it. Dragging it in the dirt. Play'n it out!

Eddwrd is like Jimmy page. When bonham died, Jimmy said there will be no more Led Zeppelin. I have total respect for Jimmy Page. He has made all the right moves and never sold Zeppelin out. Kept it classic. And true.

I think Edward is the same way. And we know for sure that he is in the same class as Jimmy Page. Same school. ect.

Matt Wales
AKA
VanWalen

http://www.van-halen.net/images/Van-Halen-Net-banner-small.jpg (http://www.Van-Halen.Net/)

anyway. Sorry to hear they are still in disagreement.

But I'm on Edward's side. Even if he hates me. Cause when it comes down to it, all said and done, and when we are all gone. The music will live on.

So the time is now to make some more great music Edward. Show him who's boss. Well we already know who's boss. but I had to say it.

Best of luck to you all,

Hope too see some good news soon.

P.S. Sammy. RISE. the one track is beter then your whole album!

FEEL IT!

MattWales
08.26.06, 08:41 AM
I have a request for the next interview :D ... especially if it's Michael.

Does the full-length version of Oakland 1981 exist?

That is a great show!

I would love to see it too.

:headbang:

Van Squalen
08.26.06, 09:25 AM
:rolleyes: Putting vocals to Rise is sort of like sticking your dick in a pencil sharpener. Yeah, it's a hole...but what's the point.

And you obviously haven't been paying attention the last several years if you think Ed's a totally cool dude and isn't the main problem with why Van Halen doesn't currently exist.

And there's little point in continuing to pimp your anonymous nobody raggedy ass. Nobody here's gonna hire you to be their next wedding singer.

BTW.....Zeppelin, Incorporated sold song rights to General Motors. Eddie Van Halen did a milk ad, and patented the Frankenstripe logo, selling everything from sweat wristbands to wallets to jewelry to keychains. Selling out is all perspective.

Speaking of using band names for monetary ends, keep using the moniker Van Walen and any subsidiary logos, as well as bastardizing and reproducing original scores and offering them to the public, and you too may be hearing from the lawyers of King Six String very soon. :smokin:

C5A1B5O0
08.26.06, 01:56 PM
:rolleyes: Putting vocals to Rise is sort of like sticking your dick in a pencil sharpener. Yeah, it's a hole...but what's the point.

And you obviously haven't been paying attention the last several years if you think Ed's a totally cool dude and isn't the main problem with why Van Halen doesn't currently exist.

And there's little point in continuing to pimp your anonymous nobody raggedy ass. Nobody here's gonna hire you to be their next wedding singer.

BTW.....Zeppelin, Incorporated sold song rights to General Motors. Eddie Van Halen did a milk ad, and patented the Frankenstripe logo, selling everything from sweat wristbands to wallets to jewelry to keychains. Selling out is all perspective.

Speaking of using band names for monetary ends, keep using the moniker Van Walen and any subsidiary logos, as well as bastardizing and reproducing original scores and offering them to the public, and you too may be hearing from the lawyers of King Six String very soon. :smokin:

I agree with ya 5150% squal and oh yea I have my own internet and computer at home now bro....SO HERE I GO POSTEM MADNESS!!! :D

Little Dreamer
08.26.06, 04:38 PM
The best Sam interview of the last 10 years. Awesome read. Thanks Andrew.

It confirms stuff, like Ed and Al not even being on the same page anymore. I guess some of you guys can put back your "ARMBI" flags back in their boxes.

The shit about Mike is painful to read everytime. I don't know why Ed and Al are ok with being assocaited with that type of behavior. I know I wouldn't like to have shit like that said about me in the press. Either stop treating Mike like this, or speak out, and have a VERY good reason to explain the motives of such an attitude.

smithjc
08.26.06, 10:09 PM
I SO want to wish that I had read something different from Sammy. And it breaks my heart to keep reading about how Mikey was treated. I'm probably still in denial about that one anyways cause I love VH so much.

Just like I'm in denial about my favorite guitar hero. :{

I just don't know what to think about these guys anymore.

Thanks so much for sharing this interview with us Andrew. :thumb:

EddiePie
08.27.06, 08:08 AM
Andrew, thank you very much for a great interview.

It's funny, Sammy really has become the spirit of Van Halen. Who would of thought? Good for him to be out there doing what he wants, putting out new music, touring and generally having a good time. Why the hell doesn't Dave do that? Or Eddie for that matter? I really wish Eddie would do a G3 type of thing were he gets together with whomever he wants and just plays.

As far as Van Halen is concerned, unfortunately, I'm convinced that once and for all, it's over. The only thing I could see happening is a reunion/farewell tour with Dave and probably no Mike.

Leo Van Newhouse
08.27.06, 08:59 AM
Andrew, great interview. Thanks for it man :thumb:

vh_chick
08.27.06, 09:59 AM
Great interview, Andrew. Sammy sounds like he's so easy to talk to. I'm kind of sad, tho. Just reminds me that VH is gone, and will likely never come back.

I hope Ed will go out and tour on his own. Well, with Al, of course. Can't go anywhere without Al.

Shari

melodicrock
08.27.06, 04:51 PM
Hey - a big THANKS to EVERYONE for the awesome feedback. I knew I enjoyed the interview, but it's great to hear everyone else has also :)

I'm e-mailing Dave's mgmt today to request an interview with him also.

And Ed and Alex - if you are reading - drop me a line! ;)

venom thrust
08.27.06, 06:50 PM
If you can get Dave it would be fantastic!!!

ouncie33
08.27.06, 08:44 PM
I don't think Sam getting with Kari had anything to do with him losing interest. I think ed and al had a double standard. Remember when Sam first left he did an interview where he said that Ed and Al knew she was pregnant with a breech baby in hawaii and still wanted Sam in the studio? Sam said "where were you guys when your kids were born" and ed and al were home but pointed out that Mike was on the road when his kids were born.

Bottom line: VH has not been the same since Ray daniels got involved. Al should curse the day he introduced Ed to Ray. I don't know if Ed wa going nuts before hand but that seemed to push him over the edge. Go back and watch a show from the RHRN tour or better yet get your hands on an interview titled "Sammy drills Eddie" from one of the guitar mags. Sam is interviewing Ed and Ed says point blank "you inspire me" to sam. Best buds until 95 then it all went downhill. I noticed the change in the pre-balance interveiws with Ed, his look changed but so did everything else. When I heard the music I knew something had gone terribly wrong within the band.

Sam's still basically the same guy he was 20 years ago...a little older, a little heavier but basically the same, so is mike, so is al for the most part...ed, that's another story. I'm only going by interviews so I might be wrong but this is what I see.

I so totally agree that Sammy and Kari getting together had nothing to do with the demise of Van Halen. Afterall, I've never heard anything about Kari trying to meddle in Van Halen's professional business . I seem to recall Eddie expressing disapproval of Sammy leaving his wife of many years for another woman but to my way of thinking that's his business not Eddie's. I think it had more to do with Ray Daniels being an ambitious money grubbing prick and Sammy having more of a business sense than Eddie. I think that Sammy saw Ray for what he was right at the get go and Eddie didn't. What I don't really understand is why now that Eddie knows what a schemeing snake in the grass Ray was he still feels hard at Sammy.

Foamfoot
08.28.06, 05:20 AM
I so totally agree that Sammy and Kari getting together had nothing to do with the demise of Van Halen. Afterall, I've never heard anything about Kari trying to meddle in Van Halen's professional business . I seem to recall Eddie expressing disapproval of Sammy leaving his wife of many years for another woman but to my way of thinking that's his business not Eddie's. I think it had more to do with Ray Daniels being an ambitious money grubbing prick and Sammy having more of a business sense than Eddie. I think that Sammy saw Ray for what he was right at the get go and Eddie didn't. What I don't really understand is why now that Eddie knows what a schemeing snake in the grass Ray was he still feels hard at Sammy.

According to those excerts from the book that was never published, it all started in early 1994, and yes, Ray was the problem.

loveevhsince79
08.28.06, 06:04 AM

When I questioned Sam and Kari getting together and if it had anything to do with a change of attitude, I didn't mean it from the perspective of Kari meddling in VH's affairs. I question if Sam was concentrating on family rather than VH, a change of priorities. If he did, it's not a slam. People change and maybe Sam didn't want to hang out all the time with Edward like he had been. Lots of people put their friends on the back burner when hooking up with a new love.

Bad to the Bone
08.28.06, 11:06 AM
When I questioned Sam and Kari getting together and if it had anything to do with a change of attitude, I didn't mean it from the perspective of Kari meddling in VH's affairs. I question if Sam was concentrating on family rather than VH, a change of priorities. If he did, it's not a slam. People change and maybe Sam didn't want to hang out all the time with Edward like he had been. Lots of people put their friends on the back burner when hooking up with a new love.

Ed's priorities changed. You do a tour that's the longest most intense one youve done together, ed's got a bad hip, al's got a bad neck, you agree to take time off. A few months later, after you get married and get your new wife pregnant Ed calls you up and says "we've got a soundtrack to do, be here." not only that but it changes to doing a greatest hits package and possibley a tour. All the while your new wife is in hawaii having a hard time with the pregnancy....where should sams priorities have been? Vh should have just given the twister guys a couple of left over songs and this whole thing never would have happened.....well, it porbably would have happened but it would have happened a little different.

ouncie33
08.28.06, 05:42 PM

I'm sorry if I misunderstood you. But so many times when there are problems in a band it is a certain bandmember's wife or girlfriend trying to interfere. For example, a while ago I heard that the band Velvet Revolver were having some trouble (I've heard that it's cleared up now). Rumor had it that Slash's wife's incessant interferance with the band's business affairs was causing a lot of trouble and alienating him from his bandmates. I've since heard that that wasn't the case but you get my point. I guess I thought that you meant that Kari might have been interfereing in VH's professional affairs. What I'm really thinking now is that Eddie's constant drinking is the problem.

Erikson90
08.28.06, 07:31 PM
Ed's priorities changed. You do a tour that's the longest most intense one youve done together, ed's got a bad hip, al's got a bad neck, you agree to take time off. A few months later, after you get married and get your new wife pregnant Ed calls you up and says "we've got a soundtrack to do, be here." not only that but it changes to doing a greatest hits package and possibley a tour. All the while your new wife is in hawaii having a hard time with the pregnancy....where should sams priorities have been? Vh should have just given the twister guys a couple of left over songs and this whole thing never would have happened.....well, it porbably would have happened but it would have happened a little different.

top post mate!

ouncie33
08.28.06, 10:10 PM

A very well thought out post to be sure!

Foamfoot
08.29.06, 05:05 AM

I agree... and great post, BTW. I'd just add, you can't help but think Ray Dannials was behind the scenes pushing the whole Twister/Best Of thing and, at the same time, trying to alienate Sammy. Ray and Sammy didn't get along.

James in New York
08.29.06, 05:52 AM
Andrew- That rocked! You made my day with that interview. Great job, great questions!

Goodluck with Dave!
;)

Bad to the Bone
08.29.06, 05:56 AM
I agree... and great post, BTW. I'd just add, you can't help but think Ray Dannials was behind the scenes pushing the whole Twister/Best Of thing and, at the same time, trying to alienate Sammy. Ray and Sammy didn't get along.

Sam's always said that. Listen to interviews with Ed, never wanted to do a Best of and then Ray shows up and..BAM!! Best of. Now I know sam's not an angel and I'm sure he did some things taht ed and al hated but if you listen to interviews with Sam at the time it sounded like he really tried to make it work. He re-sang between us two about 4 times, rewrote Humans being, it used to be "the silent extreme" did alot of stuff but then you have Ray in ed's ear. I've always got the impression that ed is pretty easy to manipulate and considering that he was sober for the first time I'm sure he was even easier to control. I just don't get what the hell alex was thinking. Did he really think he was gonna make that much more money listening to Ray?

melodicrock
09.10.06, 05:02 PM
2 things for the record -

Dave mgmt won't return phone calls or reply to any e-mail :)

And secondly - I just love how VHND.com lifts the entire interview and posts it on their site with the mere "courtesy of" tag.

"With courtesy" normally implies they asked first. Er, no.

Duck
09.10.06, 05:33 PM
2 things for the record -

Dave mgmt won't return phone calls or reply to any e-mail :)

And secondly - I just love how VHND.com lifts the entire interview and posts it on their site with the mere "courtesy of" tag.

"With courtesy" normally implies they asked first. Er, no.

Thats too bad about the lifting of your great interview like that. The Internet makes things just too easy in some ways. I see copyright infringements all over the place.

Interesting that Dave's management won't reply. I really want to hear Dave's take on the latest news in the ongoing soap-opera/VH saga.

Any chance of a Michael Anthony or AVH interview?

melodicrock
09.10.06, 08:27 PM
I have a great buddy who has a DLR contact looking at that angle for an interview.

Would LOVE to interview Mike, but not sure how to reach him outside his website. I know that he is aware that I'd like to do an interview.

As for Alex - love to again...e-mailed him once, no reply.

I think they know where to find me if they want to talk :)

Leo Van Newhouse
09.10.06, 10:31 PM
Yeah...HERE :D

Rovus
09.11.06, 03:32 AM
Would LOVE to interview Mike, but not sure how to reach him outside his website. I know that he is aware that I'd like to do an interview.

Looks like you can contact Mike via his postal address at www.stararchive.com. They have his name down there on the search results. The thing is though it looks like you have to sign up and pay a subscription fee to get that info.