PDA

View Full Version : Dave's Guitarist is Simply Incredible

subway
05.30.02, 06:24 PM
After seeing last night's Cleveland show, I am left with one profound impression. It's not whether who's better, Sam or Dave, I think we all know the answer to that.

What should be appreciated is how amazing Dave's guitarist can capture the energy of what Van Halen was from 1978-1984. This musician is unbelievably talented. I was blown away by Brian Young. He had incredible stage presence, his guitar tone was animalistic to say the least, and he added little personal touches to the music that gave it a fresh personality.

There was one point in the show when Dave took a swig of Jack Daniels while Brian launched into a song (I can't remember which one), and I swore it was May 82 all over again.

In a weird sick way I almost want Dave to stay with Brian. Many people won't believe this but I personally think Brian can do "Eddie" better then Eddie can.

Time will Tell.

Stez
05.30.02, 08:54 PM
Good points. Dave was beyond professional in his methodical intensity at the opening night AND did not take the bait to rip ed or al in anyway.

While he may be trying to impress the bros. for the 'reunion', from how amazing BY was, us fans should hope for a DLR record with him. IT COULD BE AMAZIN.

seenbad
05.30.02, 09:24 PM
Thats what I kept saying when Brett, Tim and I went to see the punks last year. It was absolutely amazing. It sounds like the punks show had a little bit longer guitar solo though. You would have completely shit your pants if you had seen that. I bet it was ten minutes, of eddies best. He even did some new two handed thing that I never even saw eddie do.

Funniest thing though, after the show I went to bs with him while he was still up on stage, and he was having the TOUGHEST time playing pages stuff. :D It was almost comical and he was able to laugh at himself saying "hey man, I have ed DOWN, getting into page's stuff is all new to me". Very humble and down to earth fella.

twonabomber
05.30.02, 09:34 PM
Brian did the two handed thing where both his hands were draped over the fingerboard, from the top...i think that was the intro to Mean Street...

Top Timmy
05.30.02, 09:35 PM
Pound for pound, note for note right Seen? graemlins/thumb.gif

That WAS a great time!!! graemlins/drunk.gif graemlins/bounce.gif

MikeL
05.30.02, 09:50 PM
I've seen Brian with the Punks a few times. He's great!

I'm sure he'll stick with Dave until Dave decides to skip a couple of pay periods. Wasn't it something like that which led to Bart's departure?

Dave's been all business on stage since partway through the '99 tour. He comes out, sings the songs, tells a little story, says the lines, and leaves it at that.

Don Kirschner Fan
05.30.02, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by twonabomber:
Brian did the two handed thing where both his hands were draped over the fingerboard, from the top...i think that was the intro to Mean Street...graemlins/thumb.gif Harmonic-tapping, yep - This is Home..... graemlins/bounce.gif

'My first time seeing the guy, but yep....!

And Page is tough ? The irony of it all...... :D

Don Kirschner Fan
05.30.02, 10:47 PM
'Cool & funny too, to read the archives of this new board, now that it's under way :D .

Dave's comment "Not just renditions...", "Taboo Songs", etc.. :D graemlins/thumb.gif

BrownSound1
05.30.02, 11:00 PM
Actually that two handed tapping thing that you guys are talking about isn't Mean Street. It's Brian's own little trick, although it's been done before in the 80's. ;) If you guys wanna see a Brian Young solo, then go to The Punks website, and go to the videos. I encoded one of his solos for the site a while ago, from a video that was taken at the Whisky. Brian is a super nice guy, and he does appreciate all the positive things that have been said about him.

Wolfie3
05.31.02, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by Little Dreamer:
We don't go see Ed just becoz he plays well, but because he came up with that shit!Wrong. We don't go see Ed, because he won't go out to be seen. :rolleyes:

[ May 31, 2002, 02:25 AM: Message edited by: Wolfie3 ]

seenbad
05.31.02, 07:38 AM
Little dreamer, your preachin to the choir! Nobody said that Brian deserves artistic recognition for the songs he plays! Damn dude, chiiilllll graemlins/drunk.gif He just has ed down very well, I wish I could do it too. Nobody is trying to take anything away from eddie here. Just giving brian props on working hard and being able to pull the eddie gig off better than anybody.

Little Dreamer
05.31.02, 12:14 PM
Hey, I heard that a copy painter doing "Mona Lisas" on the street is actually so good he's better than Leonardo Da Vinci!
Also I heard some guy on the web doing "star wars" internet movies is better than George Lucas!
And also...

Get real!
Brian Young may be very good, but he is just an imitator. We don't go see Ed just becoz he plays well, but because he came up with that shit! You're talking about one of the most important musician of the XXth century, all styles of music considered.
Obviously a lot of you guys suffer from memory problems. In the 80s, there were tons of people playing Ed stuff, some even claiming to play it better than Ed. I guess you can now salute them while ordering your quarter-pounder at the local Burger King...

I guess you guys just to be in 1982 again, that's all. Why not get look-a-likes then, and have them wear the exact same clothes?

VH did that in 1979, parachuting them into the stadium. The only thing is, at the time, it was only a JOKE...

walldoe
05.31.02, 12:51 PM
Brian Rocks graemlins/thumb.gif
if you want to trash him this is not the place
we all LOVE ED
but for now this tour is ALL we unfortunatly get
I have seen the punks many times
with Brian and its great entertainment.
If I could go see God :cool: ie ED
But he gives us no chances!!!
We all would but for now
Brian is the man......
Keep up the excellent work graemlins/thumb.gif graemlins/thumb.gif graemlins/thumb.gif

seenbad
05.31.02, 12:57 PM
Wooaaahh! :eek: Theres Waldo! MIA since 1984!

5150Kramerstein
05.31.02, 01:04 PM
Yes I was at the Blossom concert in Cleveland Wed night and I have to agree that Brian Young has some talent. Im sure it took him many sleepless nights to learn the eddy riffs note by note. If you would of just closed your eyes you would of thought eddy was there with dave back in 83. Dave was no doubt the hit of the night. I loved it when Dave was using the bottle to jizz on the audience lol, pure classic. And the famous Flying split off the drum stage.

Fabulous Shadow aka VHL
05.31.02, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by 5150Kramerstein:
I loved it when Dave was using the bottle to jizz on the audience lol, pure classic. I kinda think he should quit doing that. he does it on every tour on every show, loses it's UMPH!

Brian is a personal friend of mine. It's awesome to see him living his dream. Makes me want to cry!

http://home.insightbb.com/~wolflinks/photogal/tbrian1.jpg

http://home.insightbb.com/~wolflinks/photogal/tbribass1.jpg

[ May 31, 2002, 02:28 PM: Message edited by: Fabulous Shadow aka VHL ]

strungout
05.31.02, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by 5150Kramerstein:
I loved it when Dave was using the bottle to jizz on the audience lol, pure classic.Uhhh, no that was kind of gay and gross. Not cool.

As for Brian, he was F'N AMAZING. He had every note down, the shit eating grin, and the body mannerisms. Dave should hold on to this guy, he's a keeper graemlins/thumb.gif

FlufferChick
05.31.02, 08:41 PM
I'm hoping that to pass the time away on the bus that Dave and Brian will be working on some NEW tunes for a new DLR Band CD.

That would be nice. smile.gif

FlufferChick
05.31.02, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Fabulous Shadow aka VHL:
[QBI kinda think he should quit doing that. he does it on every tour on every show, loses it's UMPH!

Brian is a personal friend of mine. It's awesome to see him living his dream. Makes me want to cry!
[/QB]Yep, think Dave needs to lose the bottle thing. It was fun at first but he needs to do something new for this tour.

Brian is a friend of yours? Hope he's having the time of his life and that ole Diamond Dave is treating him right. Seems to be a great guy from everything I've read about him.

Wolfie3
06.04.02, 05:18 AM
Hey, wait a minute! Is that a black & white striped guitar Brian is playing?! Don't let Eddie see that! graemlins/sssh.gif :rolleyes:

Top Jimmy 1
06.04.02, 06:47 AM
I would like to say to Brian Young that I envy you and I don't all at the same time. Playing with Dave would be a dream come true for any guitarist, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut, talk about filling some big ass shoes. No matter what you do someones gonna hate it cause they are gonna compare you to Eddie. But that comes with the territory. Every guitar player Ozzy had after RR, was run through the ringer, so it's just comes with the turf. Brian keep on a rippin buddy. If you get tired of your job, put in a good word for me.............Rock on

MrBrownSound
06.04.02, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Little Dreamer:
Hey, I heard that a copy painter doing "Mona Lisas" on the street is actually so good he's better than Leonardo Da Vinci!
Also I heard some guy on the web doing "star wars" internet movies is better than George Lucas!
And also...

Get real!
Brian Young may be very good, but he is just an imitator. We don't go see Ed just becoz he plays well, but because he came up with that shit! You're talking about one of the most important musician of the XXth century, all styles of music considered.
Obviously a lot of you guys suffer from memory problems. In the 80s, there were tons of people playing Ed stuff, some even claiming to play it better than Ed. I guess you can now salute them while ordering your quarter-pounder at the local Burger King...

I guess you guys just to be in 1982 again, that's all. Why not get look-a-likes then, and have them wear the exact same clothes?

VH did that in 1979, parachuting them into the stadium. The only thing is, at the time, it was only a JOKE...Nice post Dreamer. I can play alot of Ed's stuff and I've been told I imitate his style well. But that's the key, I'm just mimicing someone. I don't have half the technique, or the soul, of the man who actually wrote what I'm playing. I've also seen alot of other players play like Ed but none of them, including Brian Young, come close to the original.

Pabs
06.04.02, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by subway:

In a weird sick way I almost want Dave to stay with Brian. Many people won't believe this but I personally think Brian can do "Eddie" better then Eddie can.

Time will Tell.Riiiiight.

Maybe because Ed doesn't waste his time doing his 1979 mannerisms at this point.

But to say this guy can do Ed better than Ed can, is foolish.