PDA

View Full Version : Drummers 'n somethin' to beat on

billy007
06.05.01, 06:36 PM
I'm not a musician, so this is my first foray into any of the musician forums. I took drum lessons in like 3rd-4th grade, but gave it up when I saw how much buying the actual instruments would cost my mom. Anyway, I'm wondering if any of the drummers here (or any of the people that have worked with drummers) have had any unusual items in their drum kits to give them a different sound? I don't even know what you might use, but I'm just wonderin'...

tribb
06.06.01, 08:59 PM
We bought our drummer a Scooby Doo lunch box to keep him happy.
Actually I've seen our drummer use peices of duct tape of different lengths on different spots on his skins for different tones, depending on the room. I thought it was for volume, but he says it changes the tone of the drum, depending where he puts it and how much he uses. After paying attention a few times I saw what he meant.

I offered a suggestion, and told him how much he should use and where he should put it, but apparently drummers have no sense of humour. smilies/biggrin.gif

paradiddle
06.07.01, 10:26 AM
Anytime I crack a cymbal, I'll save it. When I have two or three I'll stack them on top of each other for that quick, trash can sound.

Which reminds me, I saw a video once where Omar Hakim (Sting, etc...) had galvanized trash cans mounted upside down...

[ June 07, 2001 at 10:26 AM: Message edited by: paradiddle ]

tribb
06.07.01, 05:08 PM
Must be hell mounting those suckers on the Hi Hat. smilies/biggrin.gif

Top Timmy
06.07.01, 06:08 PM
Hey paradiddle, I have 2 Paiste Sigs. that I cracked. Both 17". How about some interesting sounding hi-hats! smilies/wink.gif smilies/biggrin.gif

Top Timmy
06.07.01, 06:15 PM
Doh, sorry tribb. smilies/biggrin.gif I only read as far as paradiddles post. My bad. smilies/wink.gif

tribb
06.07.01, 08:24 PM
TT, are you a drummer?...sorry, percusionist?

Top Timmy
06.07.01, 11:18 PM
Hell yeah bro, have been for 13 years. smilies/smile.gif