PDA

View Full Version : My first encounter with a real rock star

mikeKramer
08.28.00, 05:40 PM
Tonight I was at the mall and I knew this guy looked familiar. Yep it was Rikki ROckett from POISON. He was with his parents buying his dad a watch or something. I went up to him and asked for his autograph and he was very friendly. Told him I was a fan and he thought it was cool. I told him I saw POISON back when they opened for DLR on the Skyscraper tour. That was my chance.... hey whats going on with VH and DLR anyway...but I chickend out. I didn't wanna ask him about another group beside his own. All in all he was a cool guy. Never met a famous rockstar before.

crossing_over
08.28.00, 08:42 PM
congatulations!!!!

my first (close)encounters was in 1999 with the lead singer of Pantera in a Mexico city bar (the date:04/29/99) but was patetic the guy just give me an autograph!!!

this guy sucks!!!!pantera sucks!!!

------------------
I reach across to the other side to make contact with you.You fill my dreams.I wanna tell you,tell me why you´re crossing over...

Cabo Kid
08.28.00, 08:44 PM
I've found that the majority of these guys are indeed pretty cool guys, as long as you are respectful of their personal space. I've also kinda noticed that a lot of these 80's bands are the most down-to-earth. Not to sound mean spirited with this, but besides them being genuinely nice guys, maybe it's because they NEED to be nice since their music isn't as popular as it used to be.

There are STILL a few, though, who think they still belong in limos and they don't have time for the people who actually paid the $5 to see them in a smoke-filled bar! That's probably why only 50 people showed up for a bar show with a capacity of 500.

------------------
"Who's feelin...SEX-AAYY?"
-David Lee Roth, Shinjuku 1978

diamondsgirl
08.28.00, 08:56 PM
I work at a hotel within 3 miles of two venues. One is a stadium (seats 60,000) and the other is smaller (seats 20,00). We get some of the bands staying with us. If you stay cool, they stay cool. Its kind of like when you see a bee. Your instinct is to start screaming and freaking out, but if you stay still and don't talk too loud, the bee will land on you and kind of feel safe hanging out. I know, I put the "anal" in "analogy".

------------------
I don't feel tardy.

No Bozo's
08.28.00, 10:32 PM
Yah, I have!http://208.50.7.95/vhlforum/smilies/cool.gifhttp://208.50.7.95/vhlforum/smilies/biggrin.gif

The bass player from Soundgarden(Ben Shepard) has his own bar on 1st St. in Seattle where he has local bands come in and play. Then I've seen him on ferries that cross the puget sound to bainbridge Island. He's very laid back Pretty cool dude! http://208.50.7.95/vhlforum/smilies/cool.gifhttp://208.50.7.95/vhlforum/smilies/biggrin.gif

------------------
Broken down 'n' dirty dressed in rags

I'm searchin moonlight and looking for a moonbeam, yeah you spent a lie and got lost in the jet stream ...

"Yah looking back all the years of video tape I suddenly realize now,
that I look like a fish!" Alex Boceebus Vo Halen

track 5
08.28.00, 10:48 PM
Jeff Keith is VERY COOL in t5's nutty opinion.

"Keep Rockin" http://208.50.7.95/vhlforum/smilies/wink.gif Out.

Ed6150
08.29.00, 07:33 PM
Louise Post from veruca salt , she wanted me http://208.50.7.95/vhlforum/smilies/biggrin.gifhttp://208.50.7.95/vhlforum/smilies/biggrin.gifhttp://208.50.7.95/vhlforum/smilies/biggrin.gif , she used to date Dave Grohl but the stupid guy dumped her . My wife was with me when I met Louise , she's cool as hell .

Georgie
08.30.00, 11:11 AM
The first Rock Star I met was Cher. Ironically, my friend Jimmy and I crashed the premiere party for Moonstruck at Elaine's in New York around the end of the 1980's. ( I believe) They thought my friend Jimmy was her son Elijah, so they let us both in. The funny thing is, Cher came up to both of us because she thought it was Elijah too from a distance. She then realized we were two 18 year olds who crashed the party but never said anything. She laughed about it and was really cool to us. We met all of Bon Jovi at the same party as well. Richie Sambora asked us what bands we liked and we both said Van Halen. They said they liked them a lot too. They were all really cool to us! I can't rip on Bon Jovi since meeting them. ( Unless they are compared to VH.) In closing, on the way out, a man tugs on Jimmy's arm and gives him a big hug. I recognize the guy but can't put a name with the face. It was Rick Derringer. ( Jimmy's Dad is a famous New York DJ and Rick was one of his close friends. He gave Jimmy his first guitar lesson.) True story, folks.

hellohawk
08.30.00, 11:23 AM
Met some, but the funniest/goofiest was giving Tom Peterson (Cheap Trick) a ride to his girlfriend's house after his Jeep Wrangler broke down at a gas station.

billy007
08.30.00, 05:01 PM
I worked in a major hotel in Philadelphia. We had quite a few ball clubs come through, got to meet guys like Gwynn, Garvey, Bonilla, Bonds, LaSorda. But this thread is about music. Stevie Wonder stayed with us once, saw him getting led out to hear a play. Huey Lewis and the News was supposed to be coming one night, don't know if they ever made it. Philadelphia in 1987 decided to start a music hall of fame and they held the ceremonies at our hotel. I don't know why I was at the door at the time as I was a desk clerk, but I met Chubby Checker coming in, got to shake his hand and see him do a little twist I think (I remember the twist thing, just not whether I shook his hand). I was there when my coworkers checked in Dizzy Gillespie and Leon Redbone. Saw Darryl Hall and John Oates walk across the lobby. A few years earlier, while doing intern work at WRKS in New York City, I met this rap group, Force MCs when they came in for an interview.

------------------
"model citizen, zero discipline..."

Eat Us And Smile, y'all

For more great Van Halen discussion, visit www.DLRArmy.com (http://www.DLRArmy.com)

Rippin Loud
08.31.00, 01:12 PM
That was a cool story Georgie!! I think Ritche is a cool dude.Ive always liked his guitar playing!!

Cabot
01.09.05, 01:31 PM
My first brush with a "rock star" was way back when I was a bag boy at this grocery store and Craig Chaquico was buying a couple 16oz cans of Budweiser. I recognized him and told him to "kickass tonight." He and the rest of Starship were playing that night at the Memorial Auditorium in Burlington, VT.

He walked out of the store after saying thanks.

Moments later he returned, walked up to me and asked if I was going to the show, I was only 15 and didn't have any way, so I said no. That's when he extend his hand towards me and dropped a handfful of guitar pics into my hand and told me to look him up next time they were going to be in town.

Now some 25 years later I think it's kinda weird what he did, did he like 15 year old boys? :eek:

LLFHS
01.09.05, 01:35 PM
I've met Gene Simmons & Paul Stanley, Ozzy, Alice, Bob Geldof, and Stevie Wonder.

...and William Shatner may not be a rock star but he's done those wacky-ass spoken word records so I'll include his as a sort of honorable mention. :D

emm5150
01.09.05, 01:37 PM
Tonight I was at the mall and I knew this guy looked familiar. Yep it was Rikki ROckett from POISON. He was with his parents buying his dad a watch or something. I went up to him and asked for his autograph and he was very friendly. Told him I was a fan and he thought it was cool. I told him I saw POISON back when they opened for DLR on the Skyscraper tour. That was my chance.... hey whats going on with VH and DLR anyway...but I chickend out. I didn't wanna ask him about another group beside his own. All in all he was a cool guy. Never met a famous rockstar before.
Hey Mike ....Rikki is a friend of mine, very cool guy. Did you see him in Pennsylvania or out in Cali.?

mikeKramer
01.09.05, 02:20 PM
hey EMM..funny how i posted this thread over 4 yrs ago. I guess with the hacking of the vhlinks site, some older posts are coming to the forefront. Anyway, I ran into him at the King of Prussia mall in PA.

evhslilhottie
01.09.05, 05:42 PM
My dad kinda met Charlie Daniels at the World's Fair in Knoxville in 1982. That's the closest I've ever gotten to meeting a rock star!

Casemeister
01.09.05, 07:13 PM
I met Waylon Jennings and Jessi Colter in 1994. Spent about 45 minutes with them. Very long story short, Waylon asked where we were sitting. We told him. After people were getting annoyed with him (LOL) because he was hanging out with us and the show was meant to start, we went to our seats and he got on stage. He'd asked my favourite song and, too nervous to answer, my nan answered for me: "Luckenbach, Texas." Maybe not my favourite, but close (at the time).

Anyway, a bit into the show....
"Y'all are here to see Willie, aren't ya?" (It was a Waylon and Willie package show)
Crowd cheers. (Waylon isn't that well-known in Australia)
"Well, there's one little boy who came here to see ME. I'm gonna dedicate this song... well, naw, wait... I'm dedicating this whole SHOW to Casey."

And he did Luckenbach.

Completely mind-blowing. He was an incredible guy, believe me. I still amazes me to think about it.

The same night I met Willie Nelson. I've also met Tony Joe White and probably others but I can't remember right now.

http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~waylon/cw.JPG

Me with Waylon, 1994. I was about 8 years old. Notice I'd dressed in Outlaw-era Waylon attire. :D

Texas Poundcake
01.09.05, 07:21 PM
Back in the early 90's when hubby was in Saudi for 3 months, I was in a wedding of a friend of mine. Anyway, (this was in Panama City, Fl, lived there for 5 yrs) after the wedding a friend of mine had a boyfriend that was in a band. They were going to be playing at a local club there and their friends were coming to watch. So anyway, we are there and guys keep buying me drinks, so we are all getting pretty drunk. During the break in the band's set, Julie introduces me to a guy named Dave Matthews. He was a friend of theirs coming out to support the band. So he sat beside my during the rest of the show. We talked for quite a while. Another guy that I had been flirting with kept wanting me to go home with him. Dave told him that I was with him. So I guess that is my little story about meeting someone famous. He wasn't that well known then. I later found out that the same night I met him, he got his first major record deal.

rrussou812
01.09.05, 07:23 PM
I met Waylon Jennings and Jessi Colter in 1994. Spent about 45 minutes with them. Very long story short, Waylon asked where we were sitting. We told him. After people were getting annoyed with him (LOL) because he was hanging out with us and the show was meant to start, we went to our seats and he got on stage. He'd asked my favourite song and, too nervous to answer, my nan answered for me: "Luckenbach, Texas." Maybe not my favourite, but close (at the time).

"Y'all are here to see Willie, aren't ya?" (It was a Waylon and Willie package show)
"Well, there's one little boy who came here to see ME. I'm gonna dedicate this song... well, naw, wait... I'm dedicating this whole SHOW to Casey."

And he did Luckenbach.

Completely mind-blowing. He was an incredible guy, believe me. I still amazes me to think about it.

The same night I met Willie Nelson. I've also met Tony Joe White and probably others but I can't remember right now.

Me with Waylon, 1994. I was about 8 years old. Notice I'd dressed in Outlaw-era Waylon attire. :D

Very cool story :cool: Waylon was the man

Abatoir
01.09.05, 08:38 PM
About 5 years ago I was living in Seattle and was at the Crocodile to see Fountains of Wayne. I had been a fan of theirs since their first album. Anyway, my wife and I are sitting by the bar while the opening act is playing in the adjacent room when Chris Collingsworth (the lead singer of FOW) comes walking by. Normally I would never step up and bug someone like this, but I figured what the hell. So I say his name and tell him that we've been fans for years. He was very cool and gracious with his time. We spoke for about 5 minutes and then he had to get ready to hit the stage. Knowing that he is a cool guy made their success from last year that much cooler.

I also saw Sarah McGaughlin shopping for a light fixture at a store in Seattle but I didn't go bug her. She is one beautiful woman in person.

Perrott
01.09.05, 09:57 PM
The first rockstar I met was Donnie Van Zant of .38 Special. I got their latest CD at a merch stand, and the guy told me it worked as a backstage pass. After the show, I went back there, and they all autographed it for me. I could have gotten a picture with them, but I had friends who were wating for me outside, and I had been over an hour [shoulda told them to walk!]

The only other band I met was The Guess Who. It was only two original members I think, but they were all still a cool bunch. Carl Dixon was the singer at the time, and he grew up in the city I live in now. Really nice guy.

SactoFan
01.10.05, 12:34 AM
I went to see a couple John Hiatt shows in Petaluma a couple years back. JH walks right by and he stopped and we had a long conversation about kids, Father's Day, his old albums, families...The coolest dude ever!!

For those who don't know, Hiatt wrote "Thing Called Love" which made Bonnie Raitt famous again...Eric Clapton and BB KIng did "Riding With the King"...another Hiatt tune...Jeff Healey's only hit..."Angel Eyes"

Red
01.10.05, 01:27 AM
Casemeister, that Waylon story is just too cool.

When I went to college, I got a part-time job at Western Carolina's basketball arena, mostly installing and removing the basketball court (ain't fun). I remember the forklift we used had a Waylon bumper sticker slapped on the back that said, "This ain't dress rehearsal, this is the Big Time, and we are professionals". Apparently Waylon had played there. (Useless rock trivia: a good portion of Bon Jovi's "Wanted Dead or Alive" video was shot there, a small university in the Great Smoky Mountains, go figure.)

The only "real rock star" I've met was Billy Powell, the pianist from Lynyrd Skynyrd. It was about a year or so before they reunited and he was playing with a Christian rock band called Vision out of Jacksonville. He told his story about the plane crash and how it didn't change him, then he later found Jesus in a jail cell. (Laugh if you must, but that's what it takes sometimes.) Anyway, after the show I got his autograph, and being 15 at the time, I mentioned something about missing Skynyrd and he didn't like it at all. Oh well, he went back with Skynyrd and the rest is history.

emm5150
01.10.05, 05:40 PM
hey EMM..funny how i posted this thread over 4 yrs ago. I guess with the hacking of the vhlinks site, some older posts are coming to the forefront. Anyway, I ran into him at the King of Prussia mall in PA.
LOL...my bad man, I keep forgetting to look at the dates on some of these threads!!!!

kevaxe2k1
01.10.05, 06:04 PM
I met a few. Most recently I met Barenaked Ladies. They were in town (playing the next night) checking out The Cure/Interpol. We were in the inside concession. I noticed them and they noticed I was pointing them out to my buddies and they were cool enough to wave me over. They were really cool.

Here is a pic (yes, they were eating):

http://community.webshots.com/album/174216488dUBWiG

track 5
01.10.05, 09:02 PM

And he did Luckenbach.

That's pretty fuckin' cool man. That's alright. Out.

kowski
01.13.05, 02:58 PM
I haven't really met any. I ran into a guitarist named Michael Angelo Batio at the local music store this summer, and about ten years ago I met a handful of country artists/groups like Diamond Rio, Shawn Camp, and Charlie Daniels.

Humans Being
01.13.05, 03:16 PM
The first rocker i ever met was Jimmy Page! He was on the same plane as me and when we got to the airport and I said hello to him and we talked about a gig of theirs in Knebworth. he seemed a total legend.

I also bumped into Brian May at a Joe Satriani gig. When it had finished i think he was trying to get backstage, so i figured if he could, then so could i. Sadly I couldn't, but before we left I went up and I shook his hand and talked to him for about one whole minute, he was most chilled also.

Good Days

Rovus
01.13.05, 06:09 PM
The only real rock star I've met was only a few months ago is Jimmy Barnes, the former lead singer for Cold Chisel and was even considered by Eddie for VH lead singer in 1985. I was hanging outside a local venue to see a well known Australian band The Living End perform while the supporting act was on he was just hanging outside with his daughters. At first I was just happy to view him from a distance since I didn't want to bother him. Well then a few others people noticed him, had called out his name and approached him and he was very friendly and easy going with them so I decided to go up too just to simply ask if I could shake his hand and he was cool with it. He looked really well too since he had just recently been battling alcohol and cocaine addiction. Experience like that certainly puts a shine on you.

Dr5115
01.14.05, 03:57 AM
I met Ted Nugent at the airport. Very cool guy, signed an autograph for my sister and brother in law. We talked for a few minutes, I asked him if the Damn Yankees would ever play together again and he replied "the music was too compeling not to" which kinda made me laugh. Very well spoken guy.