Alex's drum set in the Jump video - Van Halen Links.com
VHLinks.com  
Search    
FOLLOW US!  TWITTER / FACEBOOK / YOU TUBE | 2012 VH Tour | database | add site | contact  
Official Merchandise
Van Halen Store
Stage Left
Add A Site
News Archive
New Sites
Cool Sites
Top Rated
Random Site
Modify A Site
2012 Van Halen Tour
2007-08 Van Halen Tour
2004 Van Halen Tour
Van Halen Un-Radio
VHLinks/VHForums Store
Puzzles
Interviews
Eddie Van Halen
David Lee Roth
Sammy Hagar
Michael Anthony
Alex Van Halen
Gary Cherone
Miscellaneous

Free VH E-Mail
@fairwarning.com
New User Sign-Up
Lost Password
Newsletter
Sign-up for our periodic site newsletter.

VHL

Welcome to Van Halen Links.com, the largest web community of fans of the band, and site directory. You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you only limited access to the discussion and other board features. Dive into the discussions with other Van Halen fans and register a free account today. It takes only 30 seconds to fill out the form.

And if you want to take further advantage of being a member here, for $9 a year ($14 for two years), you can become a Premium Member of our board which gives you:
  • 200 megs of upload space
  • Custom avatars
  • Expanded Private Message quota
  • Custom user titles
  • Access to our special member forums
  • And much more!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   Van Halen Links.com > Van Halen Only Forums > VH Songs/Albums/Videos

Share This Thread!  

Notices

VH Songs/Albums/Videos

If you're interested in discussing Van Halen's songs, albums, or videos, then this is the forum for you.

VH Songs/Albums/Videos

Old 02.21.05, 04:16 PM   #1
RedStorm
Little Dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Alex's drum set in the Jump video

I was just watching the Jump video and I noticed that it appears that there are 4 bass drums in his drum set. I know most of the time he would play with 2 bass drums, so what were the other 2 doing? Just for show?

And how the heck would you play a quadruple bass drumset anyway?
RedStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02.21.05, 05:16 PM   #2
sasquatch
Good Enough

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Favorite VH Album: OU812 (see my bio for other)
Favorite VH Song: In A Simple Rhyme

Donor

Some drummer here will know the answer better than I, but if I remember correctly, there were hoses (similar to the ones used to carry air from your clothes dryer out of your house, but smaller in diameter) that connected bass drum a to b, and c to d. Had something to do with sound. I could be way off base here. Also, having a pedal with double drum pounders, or whatever the technical term is, probably isn't out of the question.

However, I'm looking at the Alex Van Halen poster at the Van Halen store, and I don't see any hoses, so I guess unless someone remembers reading the same thing, I'd have to say, don't listen to me.

Maybe the third and forth were just for show. I mean, Alex went from a monster drum set on the OU812 tour to basically a snare, a bass, and a few toms on the F.U.C.K. tour.
sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02.21.05, 06:20 PM   #3
kowski
Good Enough

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasquatch
However, I'm looking at the Alex Van Halen poster at the Van Halen store, and I don't see any hoses, so I guess unless someone remembers reading the same thing, I'd have to say, don't listen to me.
I have seen photos with the tubes between his bass drums. He may have also had some pedals that were chained to beat two drums with two beaters.
kowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02.22.05, 08:18 AM   #4
snare812
Hot For Teacher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Favorite VH Album: OU812 hands down
Favorite VH Song: Too many

actually....wha I have read...and i'm putting this into a nut shell, they were for show actually but the tubes running from each kick drums were an idea that Al and drum tech tried. They miked the other kicks( the ones on the end)....and they thought that the air flow from his main kicks would sorta transfer and be able to be picked up by the mic..so hat they could mix the 2 together...but it didn't work like they tought but he thought it looked cool so thats why he left it. He didn't have beaters on them to my knowledge. The best kit he had was the OU812 kit. That was beautiful.
snare812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02.22.05, 08:21 AM   #5
snare812
Hot For Teacher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

actually...one piece of trivia or what ever you want to call it. On the Jump vid, if you look at the shots of al, on his left, theres a schlitz malt liquor beer on the floor in front of his monitor there... just a little thing I noticed one day...
Old 02.22.05, 09:37 AM   #6
Texxas Jam
Romeo Delight

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Favorite VH Album: 5150
Favorite VH Song: Unchained

It just looks purty.
Texxas Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02.22.05, 09:56 AM   #7
SuckaInA3Piece
Pope Of Greenwich Village

Liked 317 Times in 209 Posts
Favorite VH Album: Van Halen II
Favorite VH Song: Drop Dead Legs

Premium Member

Donor
Send a message via AIM to SuckaInA3Piece

Quote:
Originally Posted by snare812
actually....wha I have read...and i'm putting this into a nut shell, they were for show actually but the tubes running from each kick drums were an idea that Al and drum tech tried. They miked the other kicks( the ones on the end)....and they thought that the air flow from his main kicks would sorta transfer and be able to be picked up by the mic..so hat they could mix the 2 together...but it didn't work like they tought but he thought it looked cool so thats why he left it. He didn't have beaters on them to my knowledge. The best kit he had was the OU812 kit. That was beautiful.
Hey snare, on that OU812 kit, didn't Al have 5 kick drums on that one? I remember reading that he did. I agree that the particular set was gorgeous. I like that one and the FUCK set the best out of all of em.

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook
SuckaInA3Piece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02.22.05, 10:11 AM   #8
snare812
Hot For Teacher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hey suckaina3piece. Actually he had 6 kick drums. It was 3 double kicks sets in a circle together. His main kit in front...3 racks one floor, to his right was the simmons with the octobans in front and the other side was i believe 3 or 4 of those funky tubular drums....i don't know what they care called and I have been playing drums for 20 years...frank beard from zz had them on this last tour.... so yeah 6 kicks....with radial horns in them. I have studied al all my life and that by far is the baddest kit he's ever played. the Fuck kit was my least fav. Just didn't dig it...i liked the poundcake and runaround video kits...but thats my opinion....i play the runaround video kit for my set up. one rach 2 floors....holler back for anymore questions...thanks for the response...i can talk about this shit all day..haha

holla
Old 02.22.05, 10:24 AM   #9
SuckaInA3Piece
Pope Of Greenwich Village

Liked 317 Times in 209 Posts
Favorite VH Album: Van Halen II
Favorite VH Song: Drop Dead Legs

Premium Member

Donor
Send a message via AIM to SuckaInA3Piece

Ahh I love that kit he had on the RHRN vhs/dvd. Thought the sound was more in your face, kinda like the sound he had on the Fair Warning tour.

That OU812 kit is just crazy though. I couldn't believe how big it was, and he really seemed to enjoy playing it. I wonder if he'll ever break out one of those huge kits for another tour?

"The perfect woman has an IQ of 150, wants to make love until 4 in the morning, and then turns into a pizza."
~David Lee Roth~

Sucka'sFacebook
SuckaInA3Piece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02.22.05, 10:42 AM   #10
snare812
Hot For Teacher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hahaha i'm just not a fan of the 2 racks and one kick look...hahaha if thats stupid nd makes sense......i liked the sound but i have to admit i'm not a fan of the kick sound on rhrn.....just my taste. I loved the 5150 kit. Everyone poopoo's on the simmons but al did it great. I loved how he had the kicks triggered with that low sub punch sound. I have a boot called 7227 from ou812 n tokyo...and the kick sound from the white kick is just unbelieveable....this past tour, he had a nice kit and it sounded sick live....not sure what kit will be next.....i did also dig the video kit of jump.... with the 5 roto toms and te broken mirror glass on the shells...thats a bad ass kit too....holla

haha
Old 02.23.05, 05:55 PM   #11
sasquatch
Good Enough

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Favorite VH Album: OU812 (see my bio for other)
Favorite VH Song: In A Simple Rhyme

Donor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuckaInA3Piece
Ahh I love that kit he had on the RHRN vhs/dvd. Thought the sound was more in your face, kinda like the sound he had on the Fair Warning tour.

That OU812 kit is just crazy though. I couldn't believe how big it was, and he really seemed to enjoy playing it. I wonder if he'll ever break out one of those huge kits for another tour?

Cool pics Sucka. The Monsters of Rock drum kit rotated. It was actually three kits in one.

But you're right, the F.U.C.K. touring kit was cool too. I remember it being unveiled in between acts, and I said to myself, wow, that's really small. It was just so wierd seeing Alex play on a small kit, but yet, refreshing. It kind of "fit the mood" of the whole trying to copy John Bonham's sound. It was a "70's style" kit, if you will.

Last edited by sasquatch; 02.23.05 at 05:56 PM.
sasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02.24.05, 10:55 AM   #12
snare812
Hot For Teacher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hey sas...i agree too...the small kit for the fuck era....loved te poundcake vid kit.....BIG drums...ala bonham...holla back

Tags
alex, drum, jump, set, video