Advice on Pickups for Steinberger Spirit - Van Halen Links.com
VHLinks.com  
Search    
FOLLOW US!  TWITTER / FACEBOOK / YOU TUBE | 2012 VH Tour | database | add site | contact  
Official Merchandise
Van Halen Store
Stage Left
Add A Site
News Archive
New Sites
Cool Sites
Top Rated
Random Site
Modify A Site
2012 Van Halen Tour
2007-08 Van Halen Tour
2004 Van Halen Tour
Van Halen Un-Radio
VHLinks/VHForums Store
Puzzles
Interviews
Eddie Van Halen
David Lee Roth
Sammy Hagar
Michael Anthony
Alex Van Halen
Gary Cherone
Miscellaneous

Free VH E-Mail
@fairwarning.com
New User Sign-Up
Lost Password
Newsletter
Sign-up for our periodic site newsletter.

VHL

Welcome to Van Halen Links.com, the largest web community of fans of the band, and site directory. You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you only limited access to the discussion and other board features. Dive into the discussions with other Van Halen fans and register a free account today. It takes only 30 seconds to fill out the form.

And if you want to take further advantage of being a member here, for $9 a year ($14 for two years), you can become a Premium Member of our board which gives you:
  • 200 megs of upload space
  • Custom avatars
  • Expanded Private Message quota
  • Custom user titles
  • Access to our special member forums
  • And much more!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   Van Halen Links.com > Non-Van Halen Forums > Guitar Room

Share This Thread!  

Notices

Guitar Room

No VH forum would be complete without a guitar discussion. Talk about guitars here, ask questions, get tabs, talk about other guitarists, theory, etc. Anything and everything guitar!

Guitar Room

Old 03.02.12, 10:28 AM   #1
nobozos
Eruption

Liked 52 Times in 35 Posts
Default Advice on Pickups for Steinberger Spirit

Hi guys,

Anybody have suggestions for what pickups to put in a Steinberger Spirit? Before anybody starts, I already know that the Spirit is a hunk of crap compared to the original Steiny that Eddie Played on LWAN. I mainly wanted the guitar because it's really portable, and I've always wanted the little broom guitar.

Anyway, The guitar plays great, and the trem function is stellar, even though it's just an R-Trem. The main problem with the guitar is the pickups suck. It's a H-S-S, and the humbucker output is pathetic. The tone of the Humbucker is lifeless. It lacks highs and presence. Sounds like all the life is strangled out of it.

The guitar is all Maple, and the neck has a graphite "U" reinforcement. There isn't much size to the body, but it is surprisingly heavy for such a small guitar, which indicates to me that I may be able to get decent tone with Passive Pickups.

My first inclination was to get an EMG active set. I'm not traditionally a huge fan of EMG pickukps, but they may work better in this guitar than others. If I get an EMG, which would be best? An 81, an 85, or an 89?

If I go the Passive route, what would work best in this guitar? The local shop has a set of Passive Evans pickups that came out of some 80's guitar. Anyone have experience with Evans?

Thanks.
Old 03.02.12, 02:02 PM   #2
5150rob
Eruption

Liked 170 Times in 83 Posts
Favorite VH Album: Balance
Favorite VH Song: Aint Talkin Bout Love

well,

it kinda sounds like you want the Eddie type look and feel. If thats the case try the active EMGs. Thats what I have in my GL2T berger and they sound great. I am sure that spirit would sound nice with some EMGs. Plus it will be more like Edward's. However if what your looking for is pure tone you could try some duncans or even a Frank EVH. Keep us posted.

Rob
5150rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03.02.12, 02:08 PM   #3
we die young
Good Enough

Liked 173 Times in 116 Posts
Favorite VH Album: Fair Warning
Favorite VH Song: Mean Street

Just my suggestion here, but for passive pickups for this little broom of yours, I'd suggest the following:
For the single coils, go with the Dimarzio Area 51 or 61 series noiseless stackers.
I put these in a Strat and they are phenomenal pickups.
The key difference is the 51 are a little more vintage sounding, and the 61 is more aggressive, so your choice here.

For the bridge though, maybe a ToneZone. It's a nicely balanced pickup I used in an angular bodied guitar which has little meat in the bridge area, and it kept it sounding pretty fat, but smooth through the mids and highs, where as a couple other pickups I tried sounded way too bright and unpleasant.
Many guys here use the TZ in more modern style (EBMM/Wolfgang clone) EVH projects, but for versatility, it's up there with the JB in it's overall versatility.
You could also try a JB or a Pearly Gates, but they are a little more trebly,and on a small maple instrument this could be a bit much.
It's just a matter of personal preference.
I think you'll really dig those single coils though.
Old 03.02.12, 03:32 PM   #4
johnnybeane
Good Enough

Liked 184 Times in 100 Posts
Favorite VH Album: Woman and children first
Send a message via Yahoo to johnnybeane

I have a Spirit with 2 unchanged stock humbuckers and ive always thought they sounded great.
And im one of the first people i know that would change pickups from a guitar from Korea.

What amp r u using?

Mine always sounded great with my pv 5150.

With a real rockstar - Jason Becker.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ElJcDdgfT0

NEW single "Heavy Mellow" & The REMIX available on iTunes & worldwide on bandcamp!
http://johnnybeane.wordpress.com/201...unes-bandcamp/

My bio.
http://about.me/johnnybeane

"Like" me on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/guitaristjohnnybeane
johnnybeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03.03.12, 04:21 AM   #5
bcubed
Romeo Delight

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Favorite VH Album: 5150
Favorite VH Song: Last Night

I love the sound of my Steinberger, of course it has the active EMGs .. your biggest problem would be a place for the battery wouldn't it?

I also agree with the other poster, I have heard great things about the Tone Zone.
bcubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03.03.12, 09:06 AM   #6
nobozos
Eruption

I've used the tone zone before, and found it to be picky about what type of guitar its in. I'm playing through a Peavey classic 50 410 with a Tube Screamer in front of it. I have a Boss ME 70 in the effects loop pushing some slapback delay, and I'm using the units Harmonist setting, set to zero to get a really cool phasing/doubling effect that pretty much nails Eddies 5150 era tone.
Old 03.12.12, 03:49 PM   #7
nobozos
Eruption

Made my decision. EMGs, were out, mainly because of the 9v battery, so I had to pick passives. My main dilemma was trying to get a tone that I would like, while not detracting from the aesthetics of the guitar. I just think that traditional humbuckers look weird in the broom.

Anyway, after listening to many different soundclips of different pickups, I've decided on the Lace Alumitone Deathbucker. I think the look of the pickup suits the guitar perfectly, and the tone (from what I've heard on the internet) is exactly what this guitar needs.

I'm going to leave the singles in the guitar for now, because they don't sound terrible, and I hardly ever use the neck and middle position anyway.

Ordered the Deathbucker from Amazon for $99.00. Will arrive in approx. 5 days. Once I get it installed, I'll let you guys know what I think of it and post some pics.

Thanks.

Tags
advice, pickups, spirit, steinberger