02.20.12: Van Halen @ The Palace of Auburn Hills - Detroit, MI - REVIEWS & SET LIST! - Van Halen Links.com
VHLinks.com  
Search    
FOLLOW US!  TWITTER / FACEBOOK / YOU TUBE | 2012 VH Tour | database | add site | contact  
Official Merchandise
Van Halen Store
Stage Left
Add A Site
News Archive
New Sites
Cool Sites
Top Rated
Random Site
Modify A Site
2012 Van Halen Tour
2007-08 Van Halen Tour
2004 Van Halen Tour
Van Halen Un-Radio
VHLinks/VHForums Store
Puzzles
Interviews
Eddie Van Halen
David Lee Roth
Sammy Hagar
Michael Anthony
Alex Van Halen
Gary Cherone
Miscellaneous

Free VH E-Mail
@fairwarning.com
New User Sign-Up
Lost Password
Newsletter
Sign-up for our periodic site newsletter.

Welcome to Van Halen Links.com, the largest web community of fans of the band, and site directory. You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you only limited access to the discussion and other board features. Dive into the discussions with other Van Halen fans and register a free account today. It takes only 30 seconds to fill out the form.

And if you want to take further advantage of being a member here, for $9 a year ($14 for two years), you can become a Premium Member of our board which gives you:
  • 200 megs of upload space
  • Custom avatars
  • Expanded Private Message quota
  • Custom user titles
  • Access to our special member forums
  • And much more!
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   Van Halen Links.com > Van Halen Only Forums > 2012-2013 Van Halen Tour

Share This Thread!  

Notices

2012-2013 Van Halen Tour

Van Halen released its first studio album since 1998 on February 7, 2012, entitled "A Different Kind of Truth," and launched a full tour in support. This forum is for all 2012-2013 tour-related information and discussion.

2012 Van Halen Tour

Old 02.20.12, 06:36 PM   #1
Brett
Emperor of VHLinks.com
501 Darts Champion GTA Champion

Liked 1,310 Times in 677 Posts
Favorite VH Album: Fair Warning
Favorite VH Song: Unchained
Send a message via AIM to Brett
Talking 02.20.12: Van Halen @ The Palace of Auburn Hills - Detroit, MI - REVIEWS & SET LIST!

Here's the review thread for the Detroit show on 02.20.12.

Please note, unless you went to the show you shouldn't be posting a review. Please let's try to keep these clean by just having reviews in them.

For banter about the show, use the UPDATE & DISCUSSION thread for that.

Thanks!

Set List (Complete):

1. You Really Got Me
2. Runnin' With The Devil
3. She's The Woman
4. Romeo Delight
5. Tattoo
6. Everybody Wants Some!!
7. Somebody Get Me A Doctor
8. China Town
9. Mean Street
10. (Oh!) Pretty Woman
11. Alex's Drum Solo
12. Unchained
13. The Trouble With Never
14. Dance The Night Away
15. I'll Wait
16. Hot For Teacher
17. Women In Love
18. Girl Gone Bad
19. Beautiful Girls
20. Ice Cream Man
21. Panama
22. Eddie's Guitar Solo
23. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
24. Jump

JamToThis.com
Audio/Video Trading Community
Tons of Van Halen!
Brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02.20.12, 06:42 PM   #2
dudeman2013
Banned!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Favorite VH Album: 1984
Favorite VH Song: Panama

For our reviewers; - Did Girl Gone Bad sound good. And how was the crowd tonight
dudeman2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02.20.12, 08:59 PM   #3
shyboy
Romeo Delight

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Favorite VH Album: A Different Kind Of Truth
Favorite VH Song: Atomic Punk

The show was stellar ! Dave was spectacular . Super cool ,the ultimate show man .No gimmicks .
Eddie was spot on and looked great . If you liked the 07/08 tour this one will blow you away ! Makes me very proud to be a Van Halen fan . I left with a smile on my face .
I apologize for not going into detail but I am tired and have to work early . More later .
shyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02.20.12, 09:03 PM   #4
Bono Vox
Eruption

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Favorite VH Song: Hear About It Later

Donor
Exclamation

I was at the concert tonite drove from Toronto with a friend. Thought it was a great concert! Kool & The Gang were actuall y quite respect by the Michigan crowd. A fun set!

Then it was Van Halen time! I remember Alex starting out a drum roll with spot light on him. The band came on stage just before 9PM.

Some of the highlights for me had to be 'Women In Love', 'Girl Gone Bad' and probably Eddie's Guitar solo! The band messed up 'China Town' and dissapointed that 'Hear About It Later' was not included in the setlist once again. Also surprising was leaving out 'Little Guitars', 'Jamie's Cryin', to name a few.

Also, the encore seemed rushed the band didn't leave the stage and someone yelled 'encore' and went right in to 'Jump'...

I would have preffered a longer show considering the bands extensive catalogue of hits. I know they can't play everything but I felt they missed some classics and more new tunes like others have mentioned.

That said, we still had a great time. It's Van Halen so I always have an amazing time no matter what!

"You know twenty-five years ago, Tony Soprano was driving around Jersey in his iroc-Z just blasting the Van Halen"-David Lee Roth

"Will there be a Van Halen reunion? “I have hope and faith, and that’s more than just the name of a couple of strippers from Albuquerque” -David Lee Roth

"This band is three quarters original, one quarter inevitable" -David Lee Roth~2007

"“We had a lot of fun on the tour – Dave was a blast. And next time we go out, we’re going to have some new stuff, too. I’m looking forward to getting on it. I’ve got tons of music written, such a variety of stuff… Actually, next week or the week after, Wolfie, Alex, and I are gonna start jamming. Maybe we’ll give Dave a call and see what he’s up to.” - Edward Van Halen ~ 2009

~Congratulations to 2009 World Series Champions the New York Yankees~
Bono Vox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02.20.12, 09:38 PM   #5
Ineedalogin
Hot For Teacher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Favorite VH Album: OU812
Favorite VH Song: Humans Being

Was very happy with the show. Like the first night, house lights were still up then Alex walks behind the drum set, hits the toms a few times, house lights go down and the rest of the band comes out. Very low key intro.

Set list was the same as the Kentucky show.

Eddie was spot on. Paid special attention to the "Hot For Teacher" solo and he pretty much nailed it. His solo was the standard....Eruption, Cathedral, etc. But again, he pulled it off very well. Good to see him playing well again. Alex...what can you say? The guy is rock solid behind the drums. I never notice him making a mistake. Wolfie holds the bass line just fine. When it comes to performing, you don't miss Mikey one bit. Still, the background vocals are definitely off a bit. Some people said they thought Mikey's voice was piped in during the Kentucky show. I don't think so. Their harmonizing, while good, isn't nearly as great as it was when Mikey was in the band. That's about the only time I missed Mikey.

Dave is the consummate showman. All smiles. Always moving around. Just an all around great entertainer. He definitely did much less banter this time around than I've seen in previous shows. Very little story time (outside of Ice Cream Man). It was all business.

Dave did some spinning kicks. Ed did a few "Flying Eddies". So that always cool. The ramp that came off the stage was completely useless. Dave walked on it once, for about 2 minutes. I think it was during "Women In Love".

The encore was definitely rushed. Right after "Ain't Talkin Bout Love", Dave yells, "How about an encore?!" And they go right into "Jump". They didn't walk offstage. They didn't let the house lights go down. It was right into jump and the house lights were literally coming up as the band walked off the stage.

Video screen seemed to be working, but Dave did kind of jest about it during the beginning of the show. He said something like "How about we turn on the video screens?" And it took a while for them to bring it up. He was like "It's not working yet? Guess we're not paying for it tonight either." Then the screen came on. The funny thing was, it had been on a couple of times earlier than this, but I think the band failed to notice it. After Dave's little remarks, the screen never went dark again. Worked all night.

I was impressed with the song selection. As a die hard Van Halen fan, like most of you, sure...there were songs I'd like to see that weren't played. But I think they did a good job at choosing the songs they did. "Women in Love" was worth the price of admission alone, in my book.

The band interacted with each other all night. Dave & Eddie sharing the spot light. Eddie & Wolfie often sharing a mic. People standing on the drum riser around Alex. Ed was smiling a lot. As were both Dave and Wolfie. They seemed genuinely happy to be out there.

Yes, Dave's voice isn't what it used to be. I noticed it the most in "Dance the Night Away". He wasn't really hitting the notes and was flat more than once. But still, that's a minor complaint. The show was very very good. Definitely worth the money. But, still, I wish the show would have run for over 2 hours instead of running 1 hour and 45 minutes. Seemed short. And for the cost of these tickets...the extra 15 minutes would have been appreciated.
Ineedalogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02.20.12, 10:31 PM   #6
shyboy
Romeo Delight

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Favorite VH Album: A Different Kind Of Truth
Favorite VH Song: Atomic Punk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ineedalogin View Post

The band interacted with each other all night. Dave & Eddie sharing the spot light. Eddie & Wolfie often sharing a mic. People standing on the drum riser around Alex. Ed was smiling a lot. As were both Dave and Wolfie. They seemed genuinely happy to be out there.

Yes, Dave's voice isn't what it used to be. I noticed it the most in "Dance the Night Away". He wasn't really hitting the notes and was flat more than once. But still, that's a minor complaint. The show was very very good. Definitely worth the money. But, still, I wish the show would have run for over 2 hours instead of running 1 hour and 45 minutes. Seemed short. And for the cost of these tickets...the extra 15 minutes would have been appreciated.
Excellent review !
But I do not agree with your opinion on Dave's voice.
It must have been the acoustics where you were sitting .
Did you have a decent seat ?
shyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02.20.12, 11:04 PM   #7
MeWizeMagic
Top Of The World

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Favorite VH Album: ADKOT
Favorite VH Song: M~W~M, HBSD, STW
Send a message via MSN to MeWizeMagic Send a message via Yahoo to MeWizeMagic

wow, what a night... Vh fuckin rocked the Palace and the sound was great!

Ill post a full review tomorrow sometime when I come back to earth.

It was awesome to meet 3 VHLinkers tonight, you guys were awesome and glad to have met you all. adamvhcornell, Dimoncutr, and of course vh_chick were all super nice and was great talking to ya!

She's the woman
MeWizeMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02.21.12, 03:56 AM   #8
light up the sky
Top Of The World

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

WOW....what a show.

For the second show of the Tour, it sounded great.

Dave's vocals we're a little rough..only the second show..ouch

I've seen 29 VH shows as of last night...that's the BEST and cleanest I have ever heard Edward.

He looks great...sounds great.

Was shocked to hear Girl Gone Bad and it sounded absolutely incredible.

Very happy with setlist..although no actual encore ? wtf ?

btw...Kool and the Gang was great...everyone is going to love seeing them open for VH this tour.

The Mighty VH is back !!!!!!!!!!!!!

VH Shows ( 29 )

DLR shows ( 16 )
light up the sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02.21.12, 04:36 AM   #9
Mikeyj122
Top Of The World

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Favorite VH Album: Tie van halen & 1984
Favorite VH Song: Ice cream man

It was a pretty awesome show, I was really excited to see one of my musical heros again EVH. I saw the disasterous 04 tour, and it wasnt eddie at his best to say the least. Like everyone else has been saying eddie was in top form, which was really great to see. I was quite impressed with wolfies performance, and I dont think he gets the credit he deserves for his vocals, I think he has filled mikes role very well. Alex was spectacular like always, he was actually the highlight of thr 04 show for me. Dave was ok, not great. I really enjoyed seeing the footage of his farm and his dogs, that was nice. My biggest complaints are, the show could be and should be longer and no cradle and jamies crying just doesnt seem right to me. Thats like going to see gnr and not hearing mr brownstone and you could be mine. But overall it was a really spectacular show.

Last edited by Mikeyj122; 02.21.12 at 04:39 AM.
Mikeyj122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02.21.12, 04:44 AM   #10
ApoliticalBlue
Little Dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Favorite VH Album: Van Halen I

New to this site but I'm a longtime Van Halen fan. I have seen them just about every tour (except Cherone era) since 1984. Last night was one of the better Van Halen shows that I have seen. Definately better than the 2007/2008 tour (which I thought was good). Eddie is definately on his game, playing fantastic. I thought Dave was great vocally at times but also struggled a few times. Not as many jumps or kicks as he even did the last tour. But he still does them occassionally. He almost fell during Aint Talking Bout Love doing one of his roundhouse kicks. He is still very entertaining and is still one of the best front men out there.

I read the reviews of the Louisville show about Women In Love not going over great. I thought it sounded fantastic at this show. Everyone around me was singing out the main chorus, and even some of the versus, which surprised me a little. It went over very well at this show. It was cool to hear Girl Gone Bad and it sounded good, but that is when they seemed to lose a lot of the crowd somewhat. I personally wanted to hear Outta Love Again, I love Eddie's guitar work on that song and would love to have seen it live. Oh well, can't have everything!

Crowd was very good, singing along to most of the songs, even Women In Love as I mentioned. Just about everyone stood the entire time, most of the upper decks even. Last tour the upper decks at The Palace most people sat which is unbelievable to me. Dave even made a comment about it half way through saying "I don't thin anyone has sat down tonight!" My only complaint is the same as others. Play more new material!! The new album is great, play it!

Bottom line, if you like Van Halen at all you need to see this tour. They are in top form or near to top form. Second show in, I would imagine it can only get better if everyone stays healthy. The only two Van Halen shows I have seen that I would say were better were the 1984 tour and the 5150 tour. It is tough to compare them though. At this point its almost like comparing apples and oranges, those other shows were so long ago. I hope they put out some type of live DVD or CD/download from this tour, it needs to be documented that way. Plus we need a proper live release with Dave.
ApoliticalBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02.21.12, 05:09 AM   #11
jabbo
Hot For Teacher

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by light up the sky View Post
WOW....what a show.

For the second show of the Tour, it sounded great.

Dave's vocals we're a little rough..only the second show..ouch

I've seen 29 VH shows as of last night...that's the BEST and cleanest I have ever heard Edward.

He looks great...sounds great.

Was shocked to hear Girl Gone Bad and it sounded absolutely incredible.

Very happy with setlist..although no actual encore ? wtf ?

btw...Kool and the Gang was great...everyone is going to love seeing them open for VH this tour.

The Mighty VH is back !!!!!!!!!!!!!
This about sums up my review of the show too. The first half was kind of sloppy, but it is early in the tour. Dave couldn't keep up with China Town and got lost during Pretty Woman. He struggled with the high parts, but the thing is, he was struggling with high parts that aren't on the original albums. Why does he feel he must sing it this high voice for the last 10-15 years? I liked the dog footage as we don't get many glimpses of his personal life. I was in the rafters (227) and the crowd up there only seemed to know the hits, or they'd sit during the Mean Street intro and then when the song kicked in, they were like, "Oh yeah, I do know this" and they stood up. Not completely sold out, but a good crowd. There was a big chunk of seats at the back of the floor and sporadic patches throughout the Palace. I bought my ticket the day of the show.
jabbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02.21.12, 06:07 AM   #12
Dimoncutr
Eruption

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Favorite VH Album: Van Halen II

Donor

Told Shari I wouldn't say anything negative. I won't! BUT.... I will say this. The gig sounded so much better than 2007. The music was spot on. Eddie and Wolf played their asses off(Wolf has got some moves. Moves Mike never had). Took my son again, he plays drums. I loved the look on his face as he watched Al play. Al was fantastic. Dave did great. It was evident he did the best he could. There is a dance floor set up in the center of the stage so he could do his shuffle and slide shtick. It wasn't slippery or smooth enough for him and he kept sticking. It obviously upset him, as he would always look at the spot that got him to stop. For his age it's no surprise that he has lost his step with his gymnastics. I for one think he should just stop all together. He almost fell once after doing a round kick. A few more feet closer to the edge of the stage and he would have gone over. I felt bad for him. He forgot where he was on a few songs. I know what your going to say about this. That's Dave doing his improv. Nope! I know the words to every song and sang along to everyone. He got lost. I have a feeling age has really struck all three oldsters. Eddie barley walked past center stage. I was in sec 102 row b and had an awesome view. Perfect height. About 20 feet from the stage. Problem was other than Wolf they stayed on the opposite side. Dave walked over a few times but stayed pretty much on the dance floor. There was a little platform on my side and I thought for sure that someone would use it, especially Ed, as he plays a few notes on both sides during the course of a night. Nothing. I was bummed about that. There wasn't a true encore. Dave went "You want an encore" right after Ain"t and went right into Jump. I feel as though Ed did this for Wolfgang. A few flying Eddies. He did such a great job playing. Better than I ever heard him play. I cant tell you off hand how many times I have seen VH play live. You could always tell chemicals had a small role in their act. Well it was Advil this time. I hope we get to see them again. I'm just not holding my breath about it. The only song that I wish they would have played was Little Guitars. I could have replaced it with Pretty Women. I love what they did with Roy's song, but never cared for it live. I know vh chick was bummed about it. It was a fun time listening to them after 4 years again. And the new album is the better than what I expected. I just saw them hurting and it's hard to admit that someone you look up to is slowing down. I have a feeling that DTE is going to get a visit this summer. So I'll be able to see the difference. They were too tight in the beginning and seemed to ease up after Runnin w/ the Devil. So let's hope all the joints are loose by then. Future dates are going to be better I know. I was kind of pissed that they played here so soon. Have fun at your dates! One more thing! Let me know if in future dates if Dave stops Eddie during Hot for Teacher by putting his hand on Ed's strings. Ed had a look of fire when Dave did that. Plus he did it to soon in the song, if it was part of the act. Thanks!

www.facebook.com/dimoncutr

Last edited by Dimoncutr; 02.21.12 at 06:13 AM.
Dimoncutr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02.21.12, 06:18 AM   #13
robpollard
Little Dreamer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Favorite VH Album: Van Halen I

Jabbo's review is pretty much on target, particularly the sloppiness of China Town (Dave didn't know where he was) and Pretty Woman, but I need to reiterate that Dave almost ruined "Dance" by singing in a high register for the first verse or two, which a) he really could never hit and certainly can't now in his mid-50s and b) wasn't the original way the song was anyway! Why he would choose to do that is beyond me. That said, the song had a breakdown part towards the end which redeemed it where the three sang in harmony - Dave on low end, Eddie in middle and Wolfie up top and it sounded GREAT! I know there's probably no talking to Dave, but why on 2-3 songs he sings in a high register he clearly can't hit, and the song doesn't need, is just plain odd.

"Woman in Love" sounded fantastic and like some other posters said, was well-received (e.g., 30ish woman standing next to me didn't know song, but said, "Wow, this is great - what album is this on?") and crowd sang along. GGB sounded really good, but b/c it has a more complex-structure, I think, it doesn't grab the less-dedicated fan. I did love Alex's big, genuine smile at the end when he nailed the stuttering drum fill ending.

They should definitely bag "I'll Wait" - it's a fine song, but the band seemed to have trouble locking into the pre-recorded keyboard and the crowd wasn't that into it. I'd replace it with "Drop Dead Legs" (sticking with a 1984 song).

"Everybody Wants Some" and "Doctor" were fantastic - I was worried about "Doctor" as that's a big Michael Anthony song, but it had great energy and vocals all around.

Dave's intro, with the dog and shimmery guitar to Ice Cream Man came off great. A few people around me were like, "Wow, Dave can play a pretty, melodic guitar part like that?" Some people probably don't realize he's a real musician, not just a showman lead singer.

The crowd absolutely loved Beautiful Girls and Hot for Teacher. For the new songs, "She's the Woman" comes off really well, "Tatoo" is "Tatoo" - just OK. As noted, "China Town" was a bit of a mess, and "Trouble With Never" sounded great, but the crowd really didn't know it yet. I'd replace it or "Tatoo" with either "Stay Frosty" or "As Is" but that is me.

Finally, the video boards did NOT work until the sixth freaking song. They'd flicker on for a few seconds and then be off for minutes at a time. When Dave said "Well, guess we're not paying for that tonight" (b/c he wanted to do some kung fu/twirling stick move into the camera during "Everybody") it still took another full minute to come on. They were clearly having technical problems; there is no way a full 1/4 of the show was supposed to not have video screens. Also, why the video screen operator would decide to cut away from Eddie in the middle of his solo for "Mean Street" and "Hot for Teacher" to show still photos of the band was mind-boggling. Those are two of the best solos of all-time - let's see the master's hands flying! I'm sure some poor tech person got their butt-chewed out post show.

Also in terms of "the show", there was tiny catwalk and Dave used it for literally 2 minutes and that's it. For a show with an average ticket of $80+, it could be more elaborate (e.g., the 2007 tour had a cat walk that went all the way out into the audience and around, and Dave used it quite a bit). The music is by far the most important, but a little flaming gong or more extensive crowd interaction never hurt anybody.

In terms of crowd, I'd guess about 18,000 people (when a show is not in the round, the Palace's capacity is anywhere from 16-19,000 depending on stage setup)). While there were a couple of bare spots at the back of the floor, at the same time there were plenty of people in the obstructed view seats a bit behind the stage, so I'm sure they can readily classify it a sell-out.

In sum: Eddie was fantastic (great tone, good energy), Alex was fantastic, Wolfie was rock-solid & in great voice and Dave was good w/ a few misses. I'm glad I went, but it wasn't as good to me as the 2007 Palace show (which I absolutely loved, in large part b/c it had a better set list), but that show was later in the tour and hopefully in the next week or so, they'll get fully rolling.
robpollard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02.21.12, 06:28 AM   #14
emk1974
Romeo Delight

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Favorite VH Album: all of them
Favorite VH Song: Me Wise Magic
Default The Palace of Auburn Hills - 2/20/12

***I went to the show with 2 guys from work and another guy and we had tickets in Section 221, which is the bottom of the upper level in the back corner of The Palace on Eddie's side. We milled around in the concourse with beers until the 2nd to last Kool & the Gang song, so we got to see "Celebrate" before the stage changeover. The usher in our section said the show was not a total sellout, but was real close; I'd guestimate it was 99% full when VH stepped on-stage.

1. You Really Got Me - seemed kind of sluggish, but played well
2. Runnin' With The Devil - also seemed sluggish, but Wolfie's intro was way better than '07
3. She's The Woman - sounded good, probably warmed up by now
4. Romeo Delight - great
5. Tattoo - better than expected, but piped-in keyboard sounded distorted or something
6. Everybody Wants Some!! - great
7. Somebody Get Me A Doctor - great
8. China Town - sounded kind of "off" at first, but improved throughout rest of song; may want to switch it out with a different ADKOT song
9. Mean Street - great
10. (Oh!) Pretty Woman - played well, but would have preferred different classic tune
11. Alex's Drum Solo - sounded good; interesting triggers & misc backing tracks
12. Unchained - great
13. The Trouble With Never - great
14. Dance The Night Away - good, except the backing vocals needed that extra MA oomph
15. I'll Wait - played well, weird keyboard backing during chorus, but this song never really did anything for me in the first place
16. Hot For Teacher - great
17. Women In Love - great; nice to hear this song live again
18. Girl Gone Bad - great; pleasant surprise in the set after not playing it opening night
19. Beautiful Girls - great
20. Ice Cream Man - tired of this song; DLR's herding dog footage was semi-interesting
21. Panama - great
22. Eddie's Guitar Solo - great; well-played and more concise than past tours
23. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love - played well, but tired of this song
24. Jump - played well, but tired of this song ;o

Ended with confetti and DLR waving a huge checkered flag... the "encore" did seem a bit rushed like they had to wrap up by 10:45 or bust !

Comments/observations:
DLR - voice did seem to max out/crack in a few places in the first third of the set, but on the whole he sounded decent. I could not get used to seeing him with that wireless headset mic, though... it just looked weird on him. I also thought he was going to do more "stage moves" than he did, but at 57 years old, he was still in full command of the stage. I'm glad the inflatable bouncy microphone, chains from "Unchained", and goofy matator-esque outfits were gone this time. It was funny to hear DLR rag on the backdrop screen crew for the technical difficulties during the first part of the show !

Eddie - probably sounded/played the best I've seen since 1998. Definitely a good amount of on-stage interaction with him and Wolfie and some with DLR.... he actually seemed to be enjoying himself for the first time in a long time !

Alex - the rock as we all know; seems like they may want to reconsider having "China Town" in the set because, nearly pushing 60, it seemed like a lot of work for him to keep the double-kick going through the whole song, and then having to do the same on "Hot For Teacher" later.

Wolfgang - much improved from the 2007 show I saw; the bass sounded way better since it looks like he's actually using bass amps now. I think last tour he was plugged direct into the mixing board and it sounded less than mighty. Certainly no air-bassing going on tonight! Backup vocals were no MA, but held his own on most songs vocal-wise.

Songs - personally, I would have liked to hear 1-2 more songs from ADKOT, like "Blood & Fire", "Big River", or "Beats Workin'" or something. I thought it could have been cool for DLR to do his acoustic guitar thing while talking about his herding dogs, and then instead of breaking into "Ice Cream Man", they could have segued into the heavy part of "Stay Frosty" or something to mix it up a bit. I also wish they could have swapped out "I'll Wait" and "Pretty Woman" with some other classics like "I'm The One" or "Drop Dead Legs". Oh well, maybe next time...

On the whole, good improvement from the 2007 show I saw... I'd give it a 9/10.
July 11, 2004 - Eddie/Alex/Mike/Sammy @ The Palace of Auburn Hills - Auburn Hills, MI
Oct 22, 2007 - Eddie/Alex/Wolfgang/Dave @ The Palace of Auburn Hills - Auburn Hills, MI
Feb 20, 2012 - Eddie/Alex/Wolfgang/Dave @ The Palace of Auburn Hills - Auburn Hills, MI

Lurker since 2002
emk1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02.21.12, 06:43 AM   #15
The J Man
Good Enough

Liked 43 Times in 28 Posts
Favorite VH Song: Sinner's Swing!/Little Guitars

OK, I have a moment to put my thoughts down.

I was pretty excited for this show. At 8:53, Alex started the show and the house lights dropped (for those of you asking, when you hear the Stones' "You Got Me Rocking" get to your seat!). As much as I am disappointed they're using YRGM as the opener again it works really well. I don't like RWTD as a second song, I thought it kind of killed the up-tempo pace they established. The YRGM>ITO>RWTD opener in '07-'08 was great.

Like Louisville, they blew through the set very quickly with little talking from Dave. I thought they were going to break into "Jamie's Cryin" after "She's the Woman" because Alex was playing the same beat he used to before kicking into it last tour. I missed the tidbits of "Magic Bus" in the breakdown of "Romeo Delight" but the song still kicked ass.

I thought "Tattoo" was pretty underwhelming live. The backing vocals were awful. The crowd was pretty mum about it as well.

EWS was a big highlight for me. That was the moment when the vibe turned to "NOW we're rockin'." I thought the place was going to erupt in chaos.

"China Town" was not very good either, as some have mentioned. Dave lost his place a few minutes (monitor issue?) but Ed and Alex were pretty solid. It just didn't sound that great live. They should really experiment with more new tunes live to see which ones work best for them.

Ed played the intro to "Mean Street" basically identical to the record, which was nice considering he used to noodle a little more. Going right into "Pretty Woman" really killed the vibe. If I were drinking, it would have been a piss break for me easily.

"Unchained" flat out smoked as always. It should be the opener.

"The Trouble with Never" instrumentally was great. I love how heavy it gets after that breakdown. I wish Dave would utilize his baritone there like he does on the record. He struggled with the vocals a bit on this one.

"I'll Wait" ... meh

The two highlights were "Women in Love" and "Girl Gone Bad." I love how all the casual fans around me looked really bored during these two songs. WIL ROCKED live; it's got that stomping beat like RWTD only faster; great rocker in concert. I was expecting them to go right into OLA when I hear Alex start playing the ride and I thought "No way...could it be?" And sure enough. It wasn't the best version of the song, but still, to hear it--and to be the first audience to hear it since 1984--was really special. Alex was fantastic on that ending too which Dave remarked is the best in rock 'n' roll.

You know how the show goes from here. I will say that Ed's solo was great and the man is playing with a lot of vigor but he also looks really happy. Of the 5 VH shows I've been to (2 in 2004, 2 in 2007, 1 in 2008) this was the best he played. Dave was far better in 2007 but his voice has definitely worn down. I'm not sure how he's going to survive this tour.

The sound was great from where I was sitting (upper level, dead center)--really crisp and balanced; lots of guitar and Alex's snare cutting through everything.

I left immediately after the show because I had to drive back to East Lansing so I didn't get a chance to mingle with the fellow Linkers. My apologies, I didn't even get the message until this morning. Next time!

I recorded audio, it'll be up on Dime at some point today.
The J Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
auburn, detroit, halen, hills, list, palace, reviews, set, van